Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
China Virus Threat 2020
8 March 2020, 21:05,
RE: China Virus Threat 2020
Don’t let fear overcome common sense, we know more about covid now, admittedly at our age, 70s, we are more vulnerable, so we are being extra careful, not taking un-nesessary risks, but we’re not in lockdown yet.

Sunday 12 noon, drove past a few pubs, car parks nearly empty, not many out for lunch (usually young families). Garden centre car park rammed, mainly oldies. That says a lot Smile.
9 March 2020, 15:19,
Common sense will always overcome fear Pete....as in All things everyone to their own, play it as you see it ,follow your own path as you see it .....follow no one ! Think for yourself.....and yes it’s dead down here to Pete . We need a cobra meeting to discuss the previous cobra meeting ! And maybe another one to actually do something.
9 March 2020, 17:44,
(8 March 2020, 21:05)Pete Grey Wrote: ...........Sunday 12 noon, drove past a few pubs, car parks nearly empty, not many out for lunch (usually young families). Garden centre car park rammed, mainly oldies. That says a lot Smile.

What i mean is it’s the younger people who are panicking, oldies are taking things in their stride.
10 March 2020, 20:30,
Just heard of a doctors surgery closed today for a deep clean! Two miles away ! Plus a confirmation Eight miles away ! .......people ARE panic buying around here ,they just do not believe the BS , the supermarkets are now restricting quantities of certain products right now! ......it can only get worse for the short term, and maybe long term .

it will not be long for this to spread to all of the UK and a total lock down to ensue just like Italy ! Because of late actions or no actions ......this will kill many because of so called experts and all for money and trying to control the panic , not only our economy, any economy will suffer from this virus and will probably bring everyone of them down world over (which was the intention imho) it’s going to get much much worse and nothing like we could ever imagine......I will cancel my appointments tomorrow SS is done.
10 March 2020, 20:39,
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-healt...SKBN20X11D

Quarantine of an entire nation! Of course Italy has a history of being the entry point for plagues, can't blame them for being antsy.

Here is a thought, in Italy it is now illegal to "bug out", a concept the "ninja boyscouts" never consider. You can be arrested for being off your property or out of your house without permission.
10 March 2020, 22:58,
Well going on what has happened so far Mort ,that should give you in the USA a good idea of what to expect and how FAST and virulent this agent is ! As you were saying about rural settings and interactions with friends , it may well be in a two mile range of you (and ch ) before to long ....I hope I am wrong ....this thing is fast and unpredictable ,I am all for common sense but we are dealing with something here that has no boundary’s or recognises age ....except old timers like us ! Now there’s a coincidence ! .
10 March 2020, 23:25,
SS according to this mornings official figures there are only six confirmed cases in Wales, but you are in an ideal situation go into lockdown, so sooner is better than later.

MB according to the BBC website 1 hour ago, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced a 1 mile “containment zone” around New Rochelle, where possibly the largest cluster of cases in the US is, (108 in Westchester county) “with the national guard sent in to clean schools and distribute food to quarantined individuals”. So it’s starting over there.

There is an other Cobra meeting tomorrow and then we’ll see what Boris has to say, probably another load of waffle.
11 March 2020, 13:12,
I very much doubt we are getting the full truth or figures ,while they try and keep the lid on the situation, Tptb are more concerned about the economy than lives of 18% of the population of the main target and most susceptible age range , I also suspect because of today’s budget announcement tptb will want full attention on that,although another Cobra meeting later today they will not announce anything much new until Friday ,who knows , by the time they do anything of any use ......it will be to late anyway, in fact it’s already to late and they bloody well know it imho .

It appears that Devon is now a hot spot ! Spill the beans BP ? Any panic buying yet ?
11 March 2020, 15:17,
I think it is getting very easy to be carried away by all the media hype at the moment. Yes, the virus is spreading quickly, but so far most cases have been in the mild area of infection. There are more cases of death from flu each year, and these figures do not usually make the headlines in such a spectacular manner. As it is said, bad news sells newspapers, and I suspect this is driving all the media attention. Let's not panic... yet. Let's also remember that the folk on this Forum are geared to deal with this sort of thing by virtue of being "preppers", and we should be able to take a breath, look around and then stay calm and carry on. I am not even remotely in lockdown mode yet - no cases so far in Norfolk - but I am watchful.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
11 March 2020, 16:12,
I have to agree with Mary. You guys have lost more people to drunk drivers since the "outbreak" began. You are still out on the roads even though you chances of getting killed driving on the wrong side over there are higher than CV.

Yesterday I saw a clip of a guy running out of a store because someone sneezed. He looked like he was escaping the clutches of a terrorist

Every case I read about that results in death is an elderly person, usually over 80, that also has "underlying health issues" as all elderly do.

I was at my doctor for a regular checkup Monday. He told me one thing that I had not heard up till now. The CV can be killed with soap and water. Washing your hands after possible contact is the first line of defense. A bottle of alcohol in the vehicle, or hand sanitizer (I guarantee you will not find a bottle anywhere in a civilized nation right now) for use after public contact is a good idea. Other than that his advice was don't be an 80 year old chain smoker.

The "containment area" in New York is a ridiculous political move. CYA for a local politician.

First, it is not a containment area and not a quarantine. There is no restriction on movement. People can come and go at will. Businesses are not closed, hoping to not harm the economy of the area. Only public gatherings are halted. No meetings or church services, which is a big deal in that area since the community is heavily Orthodox Jewish.

That area is one of the most heavily populated areas in the U.S. with that "containment area" of a couple miles diameter possibly sheltering nearly one million and they have a couple of hundred confirmed CV infections. Not a couple of hundred deaths, just a couple of hundred people with a runny nose. What they have done will in no way contain the spread of CV.

People are still going to work, moving in and out of the community at will and the stores are all open. There are no road blocks with soldiers blocking the paths.

Add to that the fact that the "emergency" does not start until tomorrow, Thursday, three days after the desperate effort at containment was announced.