Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WEF - investing in forests program
10 June 2021, 11:18,
RE: WEF - investing in forests program
(10 June 2021, 08:39)bigpaul Wrote: I agree about previous societal collapses but the lifestyles back them were fairly simple, any survivors could simply access their daily needs by their own physical labour the technology being fairly basic, in the 21st Century most people are welded to their computers-everything seem to be run by computers these days-talk about putting all your eggs in one basket- and mobile phones are everywhere, once the stores are empty and the power grid goes down most people indeed most governments will fail.
any survivors will start off as lone units, they will have to survive alone, there will be no 7th Cavalry come charging over the hill bugles blowing to save them, if they cant survive alone then they are dead meat.
maybe later, many multiple decades later maybe some form of tribal set up will arise but it will be small and locally based, the days of national or international trade and travel will be mere history.
as for "the survivors" that is pure fiction, just one persons interpretation of how it "might" go down, not necessarily how it will, to my mind the main group spent too much time trying to find other groups and not enough setting up their food supply, none of them knew enough, all middle class actors, they even used winter wheat seed for summer sowing so of course the crop failed.

Fair points BP, and I know survivors is fiction but I did think the storylines were very well thought out. You mention decades before groups coming together. I don't think even many preppers have decades of stored food so the ones growing stuff will be easliy spotted and in my opinion would have to work together to protect themselves. Yes survivors has some middle class people but also grass roots people, rural folk, engineers etc who needed to work together for their survival, the old class systems are sometimes mentioned but in the sense that they have now become meaningless, and it's simply a matter of the skills needed to survive that are important. I remember one character who was a bit of a dimwit and before the plague would have been looked down upon by most, but he was a sharp shot in hunting with a bow and so now was held in high regard. Even soft skills would be needed, like that young woman who only had admin work experience but was able to talk to and comfort and assure other women and boost morale, those type of skills are needed just as much.

Messages In This Thread
WEF - investing in forests program - by Ajax - 2 June 2021, 08:28
RE: WEF - investing in forests program - by LAC - 10 June 2021, 00:21
RE: WEF - investing in forests program - by LAC - 10 June 2021, 11:18
RE: WEF - investing in forests program - by LAC - 10 June 2021, 13:47