Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
What have done towards your prep?
20 May 2017, 22:29,
RE: What have done towards your prep?
I think we will have to update those figures MB .....global warming my ass ......mini ice age seems to fit better ! .......i,m even starting to believe in pole shift.....and the reasons why !
20 May 2017, 23:19,
(20 May 2017, 22:29)Straight Shooter Wrote: I think we will have to update those figures MB .....global warming my ass ......mini ice age seems to fit better ! .......i,m even starting to believe in pole shift.....and the reasons why !

SS, isn't that why they changed the name from global warming to climate change.
Of course the activity of that big hot yellow thing has absolutely no bearing on the earth's climate...
23 May 2017, 04:07,
I have had experiences in the jungle. How to put this video for everyone?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCftqam9...Tw9F8GljTg
1 June 2017, 09:18,
Fitness being probably the best prep, I agreed to do the Yorkshire 3 peaks. Did it in less than 12 hours and am now rather sore. Feeling awesome though.

Used a survival water filter straw at the top of one of the mountains - you know what? When you read in books that a mountain stream tastes sweet you wonder whether the author is just being lazy using an adjective s/he knows nothing about, but no, the water was beautifully sweet and cold and the best I've tasted. There were lots of sheep around so I made sure I was confident about what lay upstream - we've all heard the tale about the sheep carcass.
6 June 2017, 21:50,
Been doing my checks on tinned stuff today ....not good ...the tin fruit is doing the worst (as it always seems too ) dried milk .....gone hard .... i need to get this crap sorted ....i am not happy .....i am even thinking more dried food in mylar is probably the way to go ...all that i have stored using this method not one fail ....this is expensive but throwing preps away is even more expensive and soul destroying ......like most preppers when starting to get in supplies for storage.... quantity....seems very important....and i suppose is ... but my message right now is quality of how you store along with quality products , easy to say not so easy on our budgets because we want it all at once the lesson here is , if you go to all this trouble to rely on supplies....only to find in your hour of need ruined inedible food ...what was the point ...illusions can kill you and yours ....change tack .....if its screaming at you to do so ...think and act know and enjoy later ........not the other way around....it is blatantly obvious i am doing something wrong .
7 June 2017, 16:08,
SS: So far all of our tined stuff is holding up fine, although we do not store tinned fruit other than a few dozen tins of tomatoes that Tesco were almost giving away a few years back.

Dried milk seems to be OK too, provided containers are full and air-tight.

Our tins are stored within normal Ikea style plastic storage boxes with clip on lids, kept off-ground in unheated barns and lofts. These spaces see bigger temperature extremes than ideal, and at times quite high humidity.

How are you storing your stuff?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

7 June 2017, 17:49,
LS, do you use

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/...lsrc=aw.ds by far the best dried milk I've ever tried.
ATB
Harry
7 June 2017, 19:05,
Tinned fruit does seem to be quite acidic though, doesn't it. I notice it always seems to be the first to get those little rust patches on the rims. I think I would rather stick to dried fruit and such. Packed and stored properly it lasts for ages.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
7 June 2017, 20:43,
Hi LS .....last year i converted a Luton body into a storeroom , it faces North...i insulated floor , walls and roof ( internally ) like you most 85% is in plastic bins ranging from plastic dust bins ,plastic boxes, plastic pail and clip cover and plastic kegs (thanks TOFF ) these are no problem most all within .....the contents .....are in sealed mylar (by me ) the problem seems to be TINS i have stored on open shelves (timber) .....have been in there again today.....its got to be condensation at least 80% of it....it has a fibreglass roof ...i think that is the culprit ! ....going to insulate it externally then re-roof over the top.....but tin fruit ....may well be to acidic but i will have one last go.....i intend to try this make up a box out of polystyrene place in 12 tins gaffer tape together ( leaving spacer gaps between ) the using filler/fixing form to encase it all...i know is sounds and probably over the top but....sliced peach and fruit cocktail is not going to woop me ....at least if it works ........ oh aye nasty piece of work me .
8 June 2017, 11:41,
(7 June 2017, 17:49)harrypalmer Wrote: LS, do you use

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/...lsrc=aw.ds by far the best dried milk I've ever tried.

Yep, we do. Very good product and well sealed for long term storage.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580