Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB testing this coming week
7 August 2016, 15:42,
RE: CB testing this coming week
didn't hear your whistles, but maybe my morse heard at your end....im having trouble adjusting the lever of injected tone so somewhat over modulating.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

7 August 2016, 15:48,
Sorry Steve, Nothing heard.

Lots of AM Italian stations coming in at the moment so low level signals are getting obliterated.

I'm closing down now.

Thanks for trying anyway
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

7 August 2016, 15:52,
Thanks LS, better luck next time.

I was getting loads of noise, constantly at 4 to 5 on the meter. I did appear to get a reply, voice, but it was so distorted I don't even know what language it was.
20 September 2017, 15:48,
Ham radio is a excellent choice for preppers but requires the licences.
In total honesty my personal preference is cb radio ,it's fairly cheap has good local effectiveness and very very simple .
No licence required which is the biggest obstacle along with the learning for those who just want a comm if shtf .
I've seen ssb mentioned many times as a excellent dx tool for UK and overseas .
The ssb 10/11 mtr radio is on my to buy list.
Not been on the air in months ,last I tried cept was dead ,in many ways that's good for those who wish to try contacting members via radio I presume.
20 September 2017, 18:56,
A question regarding Ham radio.......lets say we have a receiver and can listen in ....in a scenario where the shtf could someone who has a licence ....give us updates if we knew how to receive their transmission ? for example Lightspeed = 8 am Monday on setting 9999...Steve = 12 noonTuesday on setting 8888 and on and on ......6 pm is emergency information only hams would decide who would broadcast.

I have a CB ....these are ok for local use last time i used it ....over twelve months ago ....some idiot from Newport...S Wales......was talking total bollocks about his battery ...and he would have to see someone from social services to help him buy a new one ? .......No i shit you not!.
21 September 2017, 15:29,
(20 September 2017, 18:56)Straight Shooter Wrote: A question regarding Ham radio.......lets say we have a receiver and can listen in ....in a scenario where the shtf could someone who has a licence ....give us updates if we knew how to receive their transmission ? for example Lightspeed = 8 am Monday on setting 9999...Steve = 12 noonTuesday on setting 8888 and on and on ......6 pm is emergency information only hams would decide who would broadcast.

I have a CB ....these are ok for local use last time i used it ....over twelve months ago ....some idiot from Newport...S Wales......was talking total bollocks about his battery ...and he would have to see someone from social services to help him buy a new one ? .......No i shit you not!.

I like the survivalist prepper communication plan 333 channel 3 ,3 mins 3hourly time wise 300,600,900,1200 hrs.
It's very basic simple to remember.
Yes those who can use ham frequencies I'm sure all relay vital info if able. Those who ate like minded and ham is their hobby will no doubt be aware of the 333.

Don't underestimate cb ,single side band is very capable . I have a spot high up that provides me with cover and a cord in situ high over top branches I can raise my wire for ny handheld cb.
Many times I have contacted Fan Brycheiniog wales Sunday dx crew with my handheld and a rubber duck from brum from local high point.
Hope he got a new battery ,should keep him quiet.
4 January 2018, 18:01,
RE: Hand portable CB

I have just acquired a midland cb outfit which consists of a small transiever with an attached vinyl case for 8 AA batteries and a telescopic aerial about 5 ft long with a loading coil, also a 12V stabilised power supply transformer.

Does anyone know of this unit and what I can I expect it to do, as I have no experience of cb.
4 January 2018, 19:39,
Lightspeed will be able to tell you Pete....he will be along in a bit i suspect.
5 January 2018, 19:32, (This post was last modified: 5 January 2018, 19:32 by Lightspeed.)
I'm here as per SS' prediction.

That Midland CB is a really nice little radio. I used to have one but foolishly lent it to someone who destroyed it.

It will have been manufactured late 80s and covers the original 40 UK specific channels ( which are still in use and accessible license free)

A useful feature of this particular radio is that it has two power levels, 0.5w and 4w. Actually 0.5w is quite useful in a preper radio as it allows you to limit your transmission range and consequent radio footprint.

And on the full 4w power, the one I used to own was able to mage good contacts on summer e-layer skip from SE England to Scotland. ( On FM). ( That was using an external antenna connected to the antenna socket)

I'd say that that if that radio is working correctly, its very much a keeper.

Good luck
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

5 January 2018, 19:37,
OOPs, in my excitement I missed the crux of your question.

What can you expect it to do:

Well normal range will be a mile or so on the telescopic whip antenna.

Connecting a normal vehicle mounted DV27 type antenna will give you range of around 3 to 5 miles*.

Connecting a Silver Rod antenna will give you a range of 3 to 20 miles*

Either of these antennas will give you the opportunity for skip-transmissions as per my previous reply: 400 to 600 miles range.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580