Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
What have done towards your prep?
31 May 2020, 14:28,
RE: What have done towards your prep?
Laid the OSB 2 boards last Monday temp covered with d p c on the bottom garage , the EPDM arrived Tuesday late in the day so we laid that and finished off the complete roof on Wednesday started at 7 am all done by 11.15 am , it looks good , solid , neat and tidy. Removed the roof covering off the enclosed area (open on three sides ) ,SIL collected 10 sheets of clear corrugated Perspex and fixings all fixed and finished Friday ......the shower / bathroom partitions went in yesterday .......the old Rayburn and heating system was stripped out this morning, I have to cut in two new openings and fit new windows plus a new opening for a doorway this week ......so right now I am getting the barby ready to fire up later kebabs tonight .....the beef and chicken have been marinading since last night.......oh yeah......smokin ! .
31 May 2020, 20:25,
(31 May 2020, 14:28)Straight Shooter Wrote: ......so right now I am getting the barby ready to fire up later kebabs tonight .....the beef and chicken have been marinading since last night.......oh yeah......smokin ! .

Hey SS don’t work too hard Smile
31 May 2020, 21:08,
Well that was real nice ummm beautiful food and some chilled rose wine and finished off with some really good coffee ....to end the week just perfect ! ........but I have tell you Pete I am feeling my age surely slowly I am feeling tired at the end of the day ( feet ) mostly but hey hoe there you go ! On the real black side ....the two turnips I pulled this morning and forgot to take down to the house .......rolled down the drive and crashed into the front of the caravan............it looks bad ....the assessor is coming this Tuesday ....my fault I should have known those six concrete patio slabs could not hold the buggers .
1 June 2020, 23:05,
(31 May 2020, 21:08)Straight Shooter Wrote: .....but I have tell you Pete I am feeling my age surely slowly I am feeling tired at the end of the day ( feet ) mostly but hey hoe there you go !.....

Yes SS at the end of the day, after a few hours in the garden i’m also shattered. I suppose at 76 i should not be surprised, as you get older jobs take longer. Still the jobs have to be done, and it’s good to relax with a long cold drink, when you know you’ve really earned it.

I’m sorry to hear about the damage to the caravan, i did not know turnips could be so dangerous, i hope the assessor turn(ip)s up on time.
4 June 2020, 18:48,
Rain, loverly, no need to water the garden again tonight.
12 June 2020, 19:38,
Pulled a few turnips cut them ready to dehydrate , munched on some sugar snap peas , radish , and parsley with a chive chaser.......I am a very naughty boy ! By this Sunday I will lift some potatoes , carrots , and cabbage ready for our roast dinner ! .......the beef tomatoes will not be much longer ! ......onions too .......I changed the wheels on my upright trolley mover ( wheel barrow wheels ) .....it’s now super duper ....been moving stuff about , made life a lot easier .....the garage conversion continues and good progress gained this week , waiting on the plumber and sparks , all kitchen units and worktops are fitted.

We now have four hives and two working nuk boxes ( the one hive swarmed twise ) we were on the case as luck has it ....gathered and set up two new hives ( I made them some months back ) we should have our first honey in the next few weeks ! Can not wait to try some .....got the jars ready to rock ! .
3 July 2020, 21:03,
Fruit trees are doing well, good job i netted them as the magpies and the squirrels have been trying to get in them, just in case the air rifle is close.

I’m pleased how the potatoes and beans are doing, mixed feelings about the cabbage carrots and onions, i should have made poly tunnel type covers ( or used cloches) over the raised beds, and should have started with the slug pellets earlier, normally start spreading valentine’s day but then we were busy chasing about.

We have been tidying and repairing boundary fence and improving security, the new holly’s and fire thorns put in last year are thickening up nicely.

We are coming out of self isolation to top up on building and garden requisites, we are keeping a very close check on local infection rates and will probably be extra cautious. We have food stocks for at least four months, and will adding more, sufficient to last through a second wave or a long seasonal flu outbreak, eight or nine months would be ideal. Or am i being paranoid ?.
17 July 2020, 21:33,
I would not really call it a prep, it’s a purchase, a four wheel garden trailer.
Pneumatic tyres, 150 kg load , tipping body. How on earth did we ever manage without it ?.
We’ve used it for moving compost, soil, rocks, timber and water jerrycans, any job to be done we just drop all the tools in it, best £40 we’ve spent.
17 July 2020, 23:42,
Took off eight frames of honey ( first lot ) just over twelve ponds , and very nice it is to .....all four hives are doing well , will pull more off shortly .

Been busy with the garage conversion and extension for my grandson ......should finish it all this coming week ...it’s been a hard old slog on my own for the last six weeks and I am tired and I will be glad to finish it ......and get back to doing my stuff .......thanks for your PM Pete ! Cheers mate !
18 July 2020, 13:10,
Pete,

I got one a few years ago and agree how useful it is. Didn't get it for £40 though. I think mine was three times that at £120. Still worth it though.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin