Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
What have done towards your prep?
28 July 2024, 15:17,
RE: What have done towards your prep?
people now are living into their late 90s and into the 100's, all my fathers family lived until the mid 90s.
wife was in farming 50 years ago and farm houses only had generators no mains electric.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 July 2024, 11:41,
I know of a few builders for example who are basically burnt out by their 50's, decades of hard work have wrecked their back and other joints, will they make it to old age, who knows?
I'm no advocate of not exercising and I've never relied on the medical establishment for pills etc, I'd rather not have issues in the first place by controlling what I eat, living a balanced life all round basically.

It does make me wonder though, if we all still had it really hard like my grandad did, maybe not many would live much past 70.
29 July 2024, 11:54,
well thats the problem these days isnt it? the population is too big and the systems cant cope.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 July 2024, 14:17,
The systems can cope fine if they were managed correctly but everything, EVERYTHING, the government touches it fucks up. As Ronald Reagan once said 'If the government was pout in charge of the Sahara there would be a sand shortage in a few years'

And that was back in the days where they were semi competent. Those days are long gone.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 July 2024, 14:41,
there isnt enough housing for the people here now never mind the ones yet to come.
the NHS has failed.
the Govt-whoever is running it- is incompetent.
the Police cant cope and we have mob rule.
the roads are full of potholes and the sea and rivers are full of s##t every time it rains.
no, the systems cannot cope and it will only get worse.
29 July 2024, 22:52,
(29 July 2024, 14:41)bigpaul Wrote: there isnt enough housing for the people here now never mind the ones yet to come.
the NHS has failed.
the roads are worse full of potholes and the sea and rivers are full of s##t every time it rains.

All quite true and when it does get worse we will be on our own with the preps we’ve worked hard to get.

Shelter, security, water, food, cooking, heating, lighting, first aid, medication, communication, power, transport.
29 July 2024, 22:53,
Finishing of the three I posted earlier (been away).

Have you made a plan.......

Transport.......how do you intend to move stuff ?.

Wether you plan to bug in or out you will need transport, bugging out is obvious you need to get yourself and all your gear to your chosen BO location, either by car or bike, if you’re on foot you are limited to a backpack and if you’ve no hidden caches on the way you probably won’t make it.

Your vehicle is wind and waterproof giving you shelter and should always have as a minimum a weeks food, some water, and cooking equipment to give you a start......Always keep the fuel tank as full as possible, never less than half, that is your emergency reserve......If you’re away from home it should get you back there even if it’s quite a distance.

If you’re bugging in, when things go quiet you may need to collect water from a local pool or stream, or go out foraging.

Materials.......You may have to go out on a scavenger trip to collect gas bottles, firewood, building materials, (timber, plywood, roofing felt, sand, cement etc), anything......locally a hand cart or garden trolley should do, but what if you have to cover some distance ?.

If possible whatever the size of your vehicle, small family saloon, 4x4 or van, you may need a tow bar and trailer or roof bars for large items.

Shelter, security, water, food, cooking, heating, lighting, first aid, medication, communication, power, transport.
30 July 2024, 08:22,
(29 July 2024, 22:52)Pete Grey Wrote:
(29 July 2024, 14:41)bigpaul Wrote: there isnt enough housing for the people here now never mind the ones yet to come.
the NHS has failed.
the roads are worse full of potholes and the sea and rivers are full of s##t every time it rains.

All quite true and when it does get worse we will be on our own with the preps we’ve worked hard to get.
it is well known in this part of the UK that when some national or international event happens we will be left on our own to do the best we can, that has been known since at least the 1980s if not before, we are so far from the seat of govt when everything breaks down and its a rural area.
30 July 2024, 16:48,
(29 July 2024, 22:53)Pete Grey Wrote: Finishing of the three I posted earlier (been away).

Have you made a plan.......

Transport.......how do you intend to move stuff ?.

Wether you plan.....

Finishing off the thread........

1 August 2024, 12:56,
A few ideas as somewhere to start, you probably have some items already.

Shelter, your home, make it secure with good quality locks, door locks £25 - £30 each, windows £5 - £8 each, padlocks £7 - £10, change them just as you need to, but remember lock it or loose it.

Water storage, two 25 litre water carriers £20, waterbutt with downspout kit £45, Water sterilisation, cheap thin bleach £2, oasis tablets £10.

Food, each time you shop an extra couple of tins/packets of the food you normally eat, especially good or 2 for 1 offers, it soon adds up extra £5 week on your shopping bill.

Heating, if you have a wood burner/stove that’s great, carbon monoxide and smoke detectors ESSENTIAL, £40 pair.

Cooking, if you have a wood burner/stove job done, or bistro gas stove £16, 8 cartridges £18, can be used indoors with ventilation, remember carbon monoxide detector, wood burning camping stove £18 or make one.

Lighting, a windup led lantern £20, Head torch £7, rechargeable AA/AAA batteries £20, for charging a folding 100w solar panel £120, use with car battery, for 12v lighting or to charge power tools etc.

Medications an assortment of OTC meds £20 ?, a first aid kit £20.

Communication, to find out whats going on a windup portable radio SW capable £18.