Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RADIO COMMS
29 June 2012, 10:58,
RE: RADIO COMMS
(29 June 2012, 10:53)bigpaul Wrote: ditto on the "system piss easy to use" as i am not a technically minded.

Spot on BP, its so easy for the well educated and technically minded among us like LS, TL, SD, W & C, but ordinary folk like us are baffled with much of this stuff.

Its like when TL spent and hour explaining to me the difference between warp drive and impulse drive on a Galaxy class starship when all I could focus on was the Romulan outfit he was wearing Smile

29 June 2012, 11:01,
Big Paul,

Agreed.

It was earlier discussions with you that made me re evaluate my own needs

Wwhat I now want are solutions that are durable, effective and easy for all of my immediate group to use.

Lightspeed
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

29 June 2012, 11:06,
Lightspeed, thanks for that, i'm a complete dunce when it comes to anything like this, although i have used a radio set up on a building site back in the mists of time, but wouldnt have the faintest clue how to set one up. or how it works.Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 June 2012, 11:07,
(29 June 2012, 11:01)Lightspeed Wrote: Big Paul,

Agreed.

Wwhat I now want are solutions that are durable, effective and easy for all of my immediate group to use.

Lightspeed

A fooking handset that can fookin be run from a fookin van or a fookin PSU in the fookin house that can be plugged into vehicle mounted aerials and roof mounted aerials, that preferably has CHANNELS not frequencies.

Prolly UK 80 CB plus European CB, and 10 meter ham
absolute minimum of 5 watts and capable of being fed through a burner in the house or vehicle to get the extra range.

Watcha fink LS my new super hero ? Smile

29 June 2012, 11:13,
For a chain to work, every link must work. To relay a message we need everyone in the relay to be available at the same time and have their equipment working. That’s not something that we can rely on today let alone Post-SHTF.
We'd need a lot of people before we'd have a reliable chain across the country. We don't know who all is out there and who all is willing to participate. Person B is jeopardising their OPSEC to relay a message from A to C with no gain to themselves. I suspect many 'B's out there would rather just sit quiet.

We're never going to find a radio that meets everyone's needs. We need to accept this however we can pick a standard and build on it.

Despite it's limitations I think we initially we should standardise on CB (UK FM) everyone who wants radio comms should have one. They are relatively cheep and easy to use. Then the select few who have the time, money and inclination can *also* get Ham or whatever 'better' equipment they want.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
29 June 2012, 11:15,
(29 June 2012, 11:07)NorthernRaider Wrote: [quote='Lightspeed' pid='16986' dateline='1340964062']
Big Paul,

Agreed.

Lightspeed

A fooking handset that can fookin be run from a fookin van or a fookin PSU in the fookin house that can be plugged into vehicle mounted aerials and roof mounted aerials, that preferably has CHANNELS not frequencies.

Prolly UK 80 CB plus European CB, and 10 meter ham
absolute minimum of 5 watts and capable of being fed through a burner in the house or vehicle to get the extra range.

Watcha fink LS my new super hero ? Smile

Hi BP
I'm with you on that o wise one.
KISS rule
Last S is particularly appropriate to me:-)

If I'm your new super hero, what happened to the oned before me? Should I be worried?????

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

29 June 2012, 11:17, (This post was last modified: 29 June 2012, 11:18 by NorthernRaider.)
Well said Skvez, a good simple common sense approach. The basic stardard for CB in our case I feel though should be the comprehansive CB range not the the basic UK 40 27 FM range of 40 channels, I think the entire 80 UK channels plus the EU channels is the absolute min we should be going for, and it needs to be more than 4 watts.
LS post vanished this is what he said

Hi BP
I'm with you on that o wise one.
KISS rule
Last S is particularly appropriate to me:-)

If I'm your new super hero, what happened to the oned before me? Should I be worried?????

I married her Smile

29 June 2012, 11:23,
(29 June 2012, 11:13)Skvez Wrote: For a chain to work, every link must work. To relay a message we need everyone in the relay to be available at the same time and have their equipment working. That’s not something that we can rely on today let alone Post-SHTF.
We'd need a lot of people before we'd have a reliable chain across the country. We don't know who all is out there and who all is willing to participate. Person B is jeopardising their OPSEC to relay a message from A to C with no gain to themselves. I suspect many 'B's out there would rather just sit quiet.

We're never going to find a radio that meets everyone's needs. We need to accept this however we can pick a standard and build on it.

Despite it's limitations I think we initially we should standardise on CB (UK FM) everyone who wants radio comms should have one. They are relatively cheep and easy to use. Then the select few who have the time, money and inclination can *also* get Ham or whatever 'better' equipment they want.
Skvez
You've summed it up perfectly. and your suggetion not only gets my vote, I've already started implementing it, along with a couple of prepper friends.

One comment though a network that relies on the integrity of all links is doomed to failure. Inevitably we will suffer predation, sickness and technical failures. Any viable network will need to be cellular, with the ability to healitself round any missing components, just like the US military designed the Internet to do. This is a very complex issue.

I predict that any network is not going to deliver messages with anything like the reliability nor speed that we have come to enjoy. Station Opsec means that messages might get severely delayed befor being re-transmitted.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

29 June 2012, 11:26,
OK Light Speed time to earn your pay, I want a hand held CB that has all the CB channels I can get CEPT/ UK/EU/US is possible, both AM and FM, and ideally more than 4 useless watts, would like at least 7 watt, but 12 even better and it has to be capable of being home or vehicle fitted.

Please save my sanity, if you can help I'll let you sleep with BP Smile

29 June 2012, 11:31,
(29 June 2012, 11:26)NorthernRaider Wrote: OK Light Speed time to earn your pay, I want a hand held CB that has all the CB channels I can get CEPT/ UK/EU/US is possible, both AM and FM, and ideally more than 4 useless watts, would like at least 7 watt, but 12 even better and it has to be capable of being home or vehicle fitted.

Please save my sanity, if you can help I'll let you sleep with BP Smile

eer, eer, dont i get a say on that last bit?? i think OH might have something to say about thatTongueBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.