Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Has A Berkefeld?
8 December 2012, 22:57,
Who Has A Berkefeld?
I'm not too sure that I want to go down the route of buying a vast store of bottled drinking water and I'm already using a filter jug for drinking water from the tap; so I'm now looking at buying and using a Berkfeld Water Filter full time for all my drinking water requirements. Does anyone on the forum use one and if so what do you think? How useful is it?

Until the SHTF I will just use it for mains water, should something happen I will use stored rain water.

Many thanks in advance.Wink
8 December 2012, 23:06,
RE: Who Has A Berkefeld?
NR has got one i think.....not got one myself yet.....but i will ...next weeks prep....dogs bollocks so i,m told
8 December 2012, 23:13,
Hi S.S,
Yeah they seem to be something that everyone should have prepper or not. Bloody good time tested and never improved on idea...simples!Wink
8 December 2012, 23:17, (This post was last modified: 8 December 2012, 23:18 by NorthernRaider.)
I've got one and used it for over 12 years, love it to bits, I keep it in the company of water storage containers as a failsafe, I've posted about it in depth before, You can go two routes on this this or three if your technogeek Smile (A) Buy a Berkfield plus spare filter candles from Avonsoft ( B) Buy filter candles from Avonsoft and two stackable foo grade plastic tubs plus a plastic tap from a wine making shop and make your own for a fraction of the cost ( theres a good how to article already in the water section) ©Smile Spend ten years researching water, how it moves, whats in it, how far it can flow, what is pure water, how many types of water you can get in your BOB then spend the next ten years making the subject of water as complicated as possible Smile Smile I reccomend A or B
Found it, Geordie Rob posted this great link

http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=3230

8 December 2012, 23:26,
(8 December 2012, 23:17)NorthernRaider Wrote: I've got one and used it for over 12 years, love it to bits, I keep it in the company of water storage containers as a failsafe, I've posted about it in depth before, You can go two routes on this this or three if your technogeek Smile (A) Buy a Berkfield plus spare filter candles from Avonsoft ( B) Buy filter candles from Avonsoft and two stackable foo grade plastic tubs plus a plastic tap from a wine making shop and make your own for a fraction of the cost ( theres a good how to article already in the water section) ©Smile Spend ten years researching water, how it moves, whats in it, how far it can flow, what is pure water, how many types of water you can get in your BOB then spend the next ten years making the subject of water as complicated as possible Smile Smile I reccomend A or B
Found it, Geordie Rob posted this great link

http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=3230

Thanks N.R. 'A' sounds best to me as I'm aways very busy!Smile So my next thing is to work out how to store rain water and keep it from going stinky. I was also thinking about using the water that comes out of a condenser clothes drier as drinking water....any thoughts please would be most welcome.Wink
8 December 2012, 23:49, (This post was last modified: 8 December 2012, 23:51 by Geordie_Rob.)
(8 December 2012, 23:26)SealDriver Wrote: So my next thing is to work out how to store rain water and keep it from going stinky. I was also thinking about using the water that comes out of a condenser clothes drier as drinking water....any thoughts please would be most welcome.Wink

The water in my water butts never used to go stinky mate. Mind I often used the lot in my garden.

I have also wondered about the water from the condenser dryer. My thoughts were if its condensed then it was steam & if its water vapour, isn't that meant to be pure water? I was thinking maybe take the water & use it in a solar still or something.
Actually for rainwater, could you not boil it as soon as possible after you collected it & then store it with a few drops of bleach in it?
8 December 2012, 23:53,
(8 December 2012, 23:26)SealDriver Wrote: [

Thanks N.R. 'A' sounds best to me as I'm aways very busy!Smile So my next thing is to work out how to store rain water and keep it from going stinky. I was also thinking about using the water that comes out of a condenser clothes drier as drinking water....any thoughts please would be most welcome.Wink

It shouldnt go stinky unless there are organic materials getting into it, OR sunlight causing algal blooms??, You could try running it through something like a charcoal filter before you set it aside.

Then you can also consider SODIS water purification using old pop bottles on a sunny day ?

9 December 2012, 05:44,
(8 December 2012, 23:53)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(8 December 2012, 23:26)SealDriver Wrote: [

It shouldnt go stinky unless there are organic materials getting into it, OR sunlight causing algal blooms??, You could try running it through something like a charcoal filter before you set it aside.

Then you can also consider SODIS water purification using old pop bottles on a sunny day ?

Thank you both for the information. I have a lot of reading to do on this subject. The little 'Sheeple' in me is very worried about using rainwater...the sheeple thinks that water must come out of a proper tap or a labelled bottle. It used to think that meat came from Sainburys in a neat little airtight container, I cured it of that stupid belief so now I will have to prove to it that rain water is a safe option too.Wink
9 December 2012, 06:50,
I've been using a berky for over a year now, all our water goes through it. Take a glass from the tap an A glass from the berky and you'll see why!!

Don't use tumble dryer water! Lots of chemicals in it from fabric softner etc. It's not "condensed" steam, the water is driven out of the clothes by heat, but mainly the spinning of the drum. I wouldnt much fancy putting that water in the berky.

If you havent got one, get one. You won't regret it.

Nice an shiny too Big Grin

(8 December 2012, 23:49)Geordie_Rob Wrote:
(8 December 2012, 23:26)SealDriver Wrote: So my next thing is to work out how to store rain water and keep it from going stinky. I was also thinking about using the water that comes out of a condenser clothes drier as drinking water....any thoughts please would be most welcome.Wink

The water in my water butts never used to go stinky mate. Mind I often used the lot in my garden.

I have also wondered about the water from the condenser dryer. My thoughts were if its condensed then it was steam & if its water vapour, isn't that meant to be pure water? I was thinking maybe take the water & use it in a solar still or something.
Actually for rainwater, could you not boil it as soon as possible after you collected it & then store it with a few drops of bleach in it?

9 December 2012, 07:12,
Will do 'O Bearded One'.Wink I can only think that you are up at this un-Godly hour looking for 220 litre olive barrels on the tinternet for me.Big Grin