Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
No water scenario
7 May 2013, 12:38,
RE: No water scenario
(6 May 2013, 18:06)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(6 May 2013, 16:35)BDG Wrote: With the greatest of respect, that is absolute quackery. It is based on fallacious science.

Now - I'm just not entirely sure who you're accusing of being a quack and fallacious, so maybe you could just back off a tad till we have that clear. Just by the way, it can hardly be respectful, no matter how great your emphasis upon it, to make such an accusation of anyone!

Either way, don't shoot the messenger. Back in Post 71, I said I'd read it - I was reporting it (within the context), not preaching it! Sad

This is where you have to use the noodle though.

ok distilling water removes everything that isnt water. if we talk about seawater, it's been boiled for hours to evaporate a lot of water to make it "pure"

why cant you just add a little bit of the boiled seawater to provide you with essential salts and minerals????

i wouldnt do it with water i thought was contaminated though,

Thinking outside of the box might just save your life!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
7 May 2013, 16:06,
(7 May 2013, 12:38)Binnie Wrote: This is where you have to use the noodle though.

ok distilling water removes everything that isnt water. if we talk about seawater, it's been boiled for hours to evaporate a lot of water to make it "pure"

why cant you just add a little bit of the boiled seawater to provide you with essential salts and minerals????

i wouldnt do it with water i thought was contaminated though,

Thinking outside of the box might just save your life!

Make a cup of tea or coffee. Anyone shouting about how they are diuretics can go back and check the research. Water is a hefty diuretic and is proved by drinking 8 cups of water a day. You pee out more water than you've drank. Your body gets into the systematic idea that you have an abundance of water, and so you don't need to conserve your bodies natural liquid stores. If you drink 1.5 litres of water in a desert or 4 litres, you'll dehydrate on the 4 litres faster. How weird is that? I'd rather have the 4 litres with me, but for consumption, a little bit, regularly, is the right way to go. Sorry, I've digressed....back to tea and coffee. Tea and coffee are made with water, and the amount of water consumed for an average cup, when taken into account the diuretic effect of tea or coffee, is actually more than enough to produce a positive water intake. However, 8-10 cups will have the same effect of drinking an excess.....your body stops storing water as it doesn't believe it needs to hold any more due to the regular supply.

When I was in the Cook Islands, I was the only person, out of 14, that didn't need rehydration salts, in a 5 week period. Oddly, I never drank water when I was told to, and just went on instincts. Speaking of which, coconut milk is ideal for rehydrating your body. It's definitely worth storing some of that up!!!

I've digressed again.....managing to derail my own replies haha.

Back to tea and coffee. if you're scared of the effects of "pure water" damaging your body, use it in cordial, tea, coffee, with lime juice or lemons squeezed in. Add some bread and make super low quality beer (how beer was first found apparently, a chunk of fermented bread left in water).

There are so many ways you can 'unpurify' water, that if you can't think of any, you have some serious issues!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 May 2013, 17:11,
A "cup" = 8 oz. 8 cups = 64 oz or 2 quarts or 1/2 gallon. For an active person in a hot climate, or even in a moderate climate in the summer with temperatures in the 80F range, that is not enough water intake to avoid dehydration.

Coconut milk is a strong laxative. Diarrhea causes dehydration. The major cause of death by dysentery (a disease that causes uncontrolled diarrhea) is dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Drinking too much coconut milk will cause diarrhea. There are documented cases of people marooned on Pacific islands dying of dehydration in situations where an unlimited supply of coconut milk was their only available potable liquid.

I've treated many heat exhaustion and heat stroke victims, usually with 500ml Lactated Ringers, IV. They all lived (though one spent considerable time in the hospital).

Scythe13, people following your anecdotal advice on water intake and coconut milk have a fair chance of killing themselves.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
7 May 2013, 18:39,
i read somewhere that you need 2 litres(just under half a gallon for our American cousins) MINIMUM per person per day, thats just for drinking, not including for cooking or washing, and that was for someone who didnt move around too much and wasnt doing any heavy manual labour.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 May 2013, 19:19, (This post was last modified: 7 May 2013, 20:02 by Jonas.)
(7 May 2013, 18:39)bigpaul Wrote: i read somewhere that you need 2 litres(just under half a gallon for our American cousins) MINIMUM per person per day, thats just for drinking, not including for cooking or washing, and that was for someone who didnt move around too much and wasnt doing any heavy manual labour.

1/2 gallon or 2 liters of water in 80F or 26C is barely enough for an adult doing nothing but sitting in the shade watching the grass grow. If you're gardening, mowing the lawn, cutting trees, riding your bicycle or playing baseball, you need about 1/2 quart or 1/2 liter of water per hour.

Alcohol is a dehydrating agent, so sipping an ice-cold high-ball or gin and tonic will work against you as well.

I had to dig through my files to find this - dates back to my Coast Guard days, but here's the recipe for a homemade rehydration drink, much less expensive than the name brand stuff!

Homemade Rehydration Drink

[i]The envelopes with non Kool-Aid drink mixes (like Wylers) are usually more like Gatorade. Kool-Aid seems to have its own distinct flavor.

1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unsweetened flavored drink mix (enough for 2 quarts)
1/2 teaspoon table salt (sodium chloride)
1/4 teaspoon salt substitute (potassium chloride; eg. Morton Salt Substitute)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tbs. corn syrup or honey
2 tbs. lemon juice
water, to make 2 quarts

8 servings
3 minutes prep

Place all ingredients in a large pitcher or jug and stir or shake until well mixed.
Chill and keep refrigerated until used.

Note: Adjust sweetness to taste by adding (or in rare cases reducing) a little sugar since drink mixes can vary.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
7 May 2013, 20:51,
(29 April 2013, 20:00)Highlander Wrote: We have a 27 mile long fresh water loch a couple of hundred yards away, plenty of water in that

Loch Awe???? some very nice Pike in there Highlander
7 May 2013, 21:53,
(7 May 2013, 20:51)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(29 April 2013, 20:00)Highlander Wrote: We have a 27 mile long fresh water loch a couple of hundred yards away, plenty of water in that

Loch Awe???? some very nice Pike in there Highlander

Loch Awe is about two hours drive south of us,...and our loch is better...Smile
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 May 2013, 13:36,
(7 May 2013, 17:11)Jonas Wrote: A "cup" = 8 oz. 8 cups = 64 oz or 2 quarts or 1/2 gallon. For an active person in a hot climate, or even in a moderate climate in the summer with temperatures in the 80F range, that is not enough water intake to avoid dehydration.

Coconut milk is a strong laxative. Diarrhea causes dehydration. The major cause of death by dysentery (a disease that causes uncontrolled diarrhea) is dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Drinking too much coconut milk will cause diarrhea. There are documented cases of people marooned on Pacific islands dying of dehydration in situations where an unlimited supply of coconut milk was their only available potable liquid.

I've treated many heat exhaustion and heat stroke victims, usually with 500ml Lactated Ringers, IV. They all lived (though one spent considerable time in the hospital).

Scythe13, people following your anecdotal advice on water intake and coconut milk have a fair chance of killing themselves.

Hi Jonas, I'm stunned at your response. As for being active in the day, I suggested quite the opposite. Do as the Mexicans do, I think I said. Relax in the day heat, and work in the cool of the morning and evening. So, although your calculations on water intake for an active person are correct, they're not in fitting with my suggestions, but they're still a very valid point!

To be fair, I was more stunned by the response to coconut milk/water. My personal experience is totally the opposite of what you're saying, after living 5 weeks on a desert island on my 21st Birthday, chomping on loads of coconut and drinking about 2 coconuts worth of juice a day. So I thought, maybe I'm getting something wrong. Is my body abnormal in how it reacts to coconut liquid (probably not, as medical science is a pretty standard thing, and applies to me, so I can't be that special)? Is my memory failing? I should do some research on this! So I did.

This is what I've found:

http://bodyecology.com/articles/best-spo...Yo-eaWUrZs
"The surprising truth is that coconut water is the best choice when it comes to choosing a drink that will rehydrate you!"

This next article I found after conflicting terms (coconut milk and water) did make a differentiation from coconut water and coconut milk! We all learn something new hu?

http://phenomwater.com/whats-the-better-...er-or-milk
"If you’re looking to rehydrate after a workout or day in the sun, coconut water is the better drink for you. Coconut water will revitalize and re-energize your body by replenishing valuable electrolytes lost through sweating."

This is what I found as to the laxative effect:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/369303...nut-water/
"As a diuretic, coconut water may have a laxative effect and can be used as a natural stool softener and treatment for constipation"
Also
"Coconut water contains electrolytes, which rehydrate your body after exercise just as well as sports drinks, but without the sugar or artificial chemicals. Coconut water is high in potassium, phospherous, calcium, magnesium and sodium, and it may prevent hypoatremia -- an electrolyte imbalance that occurs when your salt level is too low."

Which says to me, that an excess will act as a mild laxative, not the strong laxative you suggested. This confused me, as I am not one to call answers, but one to research.....so I did.

http://www.wisegeek.org/how-effective-is...xative.htm
"The use of coconut as a laxative is not common or highly effective. This fruit can be used to rehydrate the body, cleanse the gastrointestinal tract of harmful bacteria and parasites, and improve the functioning of the metabolism. Too much coconut water can cause watery bowel movements in some individuals, though not for everyone. When this occurs, doctors typically recommend that those users decrease their consumption until bowel movements return to normal."

This seemed interesting, but was about coconut, and not the water. So research continued.

http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/health+hea...+your,7301

http://karma-free-cooking.com/2008/10/17...der-drink/
"Coconut water also has a laxative effect when drank in larger quantities. I use coconut water to cleanse my digestive system to get ready for our yoga retreats. For these laxative properties to take effect you need to drink a ½ gallon of fresh coconut water"

1/2 a gallon!!! Near enough 2 litres of coconut water to become laxative!!! DAMN, that's a lot of juice. The earlier articles I've quoted say tolerance increases over time.

As for the stuff about people dehydrating op Pacific islands, best I've found is that they can't get to the coconut water. Nothing about them dehydrating as a result of drinking the coconut water.

If you have other sources that are better researched, please feel free to post. When I'm wrong, I'm the first to put my hands up and say so. Last thing I want to do is endanger people!
8 May 2013, 13:40,
(7 May 2013, 19:19)Jonas Wrote:
(7 May 2013, 18:39)bigpaul Wrote: i read somewhere that you need 2 litres(just under half a gallon for our American cousins) MINIMUM per person per day, thats just for drinking, not including for cooking or washing, and that was for someone who didnt move around too much and wasnt doing any heavy manual labour.

1/2 gallon or 2 liters of water in 80F or 26C is barely enough for an adult doing nothing but sitting in the shade watching the grass grow. If you're gardening, mowing the lawn, cutting trees, riding your bicycle or playing baseball, you need about 1/2 quart or 1/2 liter of water per hour.

YES, thats why i said "for someone who ISNT moving around much" DUH!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 May 2013, 13:50,
(8 May 2013, 13:40)bigpaul Wrote:
(7 May 2013, 19:19)Jonas Wrote:
YES, thats why i said "for someone who ISNT moving around much" DUH!!Big Grin

He plans on mowing the lawn for an hour or more! Damn he's got a big lawn....I'm kidding.