Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is your bug out bag going to get you killed?
14 May 2013, 16:50,
is your bug out bag going to get you killed?
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/is-your-b...led_052013
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 May 2013, 17:01, (This post was last modified: 14 May 2013, 17:04 by SecretPrepper.)
RE: is your bug out bag going to get you killed?
good points raised. I am going for a minimalist approach with things that will last as long as possible. i am still in need of a couple of things such as an axe, a couple of other little things and my next project a canvas swag.

The kit being minimalist is to force it to be light enough to move in an not load me down. i also hate wearing backpacks so i am going with a different route
14 May 2013, 20:05,
I have a fairly light bug out bag but I don't think I will manage 20 miles in a day 10 to 15 at most and I wouldn't push myself too hard unless I had to.
14 May 2013, 22:59,
Good article. This is a really important issue!
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
14 May 2013, 23:20, (This post was last modified: 14 May 2013, 23:25 by Tarrel.)
Two week backpacking, wild-camping trip across Scotland in April = 28 lbs, including carrying four days' food at one time, a camera and other luxuries such as an mp3 player and book.

Drop the luxuries and add in more food and you could be totally independent for a week at 30 lbs.

Suggesting a weight even approaching 50 Lbs is ludicrous.

(14 May 2013, 17:01)SecretPrepper Wrote: good points raised. I am going for a minimalist approach with things that will last as long as possible. i am still in need of a couple of things such as an axe, a couple of other little things and my next project a canvas swag.

The kit being minimalist is to force it to be light enough to move in an not load me down. i also hate wearing backpacks so i am going with a different route

An axe is heavy, even something like the Grnsfors wildlife hatchet. Why not go for a Laplander folding saw? Featherweight and just as useful, if not more so. (Cheaper too!)

Swag sounds interesting. What advantage does this have over a conventional sleeping bag / mat / tent or bivvy in UK conditions? I don,t know much about them.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
15 May 2013, 08:06,
(14 May 2013, 23:20)Tarrel Wrote: Two week backpacking, wild-camping trip across Scotland in April = 28 lbs, including carrying four days' food at one time, a camera and other luxuries such as an mp3 player and book.

Drop the luxuries and add in more food and you could be totally independent for a week at 30 lbs.

Suggesting a weight even approaching 50 Lbs is ludicrous.

(14 May 2013, 17:01)SecretPrepper Wrote: good points raised. I am going for a minimalist approach with things that will last as long as possible. i am still in need of a couple of things such as an axe, a couple of other little things and my next project a canvas swag.

An axe is heavy, even something like the Grnsfors wildlife hatchet. Why not go for a Laplander folding saw? Featherweight and just as useful, if not more so. (Cheaper too!)

Swag sounds interesting. What advantage does this have over a conventional sleeping bag / mat / tent or bivvy in UK conditions? I don,t know much about them.

The light option for an axe would be the sog fast hawk there is not a lot of weight to it, good for camping, shelter building
15 May 2013, 08:10,
I saw another piece the other day along the same lines, their solution was to disguise the bag,.. instead of a rucksack, they used a guitar case, almost as much space, and who would think to rob a nutter carrying a guitar
A major part of survival is invisibility.
15 May 2013, 08:46,
HL ....if I saw someone carrying a guitarcase after TSHTF and it said GIBSON on the case then I would !! Big Grin
15 May 2013, 09:05,
A guitar case can carry a gun, useful. Re: the hatchet being heavy, it's true, but have you ever tried to sharpen a stake with a saw ? For building shelter a hatchet is very useful, it's also great for splitting up kindling, hammering in nails, chopping down trees without getting the blade stuck, opening a tin of beans, and more. A saw is useful too, I have a Silky Fox Zubat which I thoroughly recommend, but if I had to choose one tool it would be the hatchet.
15 May 2013, 10:51,
Ounces equals pounds, pounds equal pain.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8