Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is TS doesn't HTF?
12 August 2013, 22:05,
RE: What is TS doesn't HTF?
What a good scenario, personally if I reach 90 I'll be more than happy either way.

However why does eveyone one who knows I prep (family only) think I would want to survive the nuclear holocaust and I'm secretly praying for a major war or event. It couldn't be further from the truth, why would I want to give up the comforts that I have now to live in a tent and preach that "I told you so". Why would I want my kids to suffer and go without what I grew up with, comfort, ease, medication. Like everyone else has said the fact that we can breathe a little bit easier knowing we have the forethought to put that little extra aside just in case SHTF, Christ everyone I know has house and possibly life insurance, it's just that we preppers also have food, tool and skills insurance put aside as well.
Who says we have to forfeit foreign hols, yeah its been a few years since I had one, but thats my own paranoia about the kids getting ill or taking a fall abroad rather than an event occuring whilst I'm away. I Got ill in Turkey years ago and spent 3 days in hospital, just couldn't imagine my kids ill in a foreign country where I don't speak the lingo.
On a positive note we aren't prepping for the one event we are prepping for all events, my own journey into prepping started one night when we had no water coming out the taps, yeah it was back on by the morning, but it got me thinking about all possibilites. A few weeks back the leccy went off in out town, ok it was the middle of summer and no one froze, but we the family who had the genny to power the fridge/freezer for the next 8hrs, we were the family who had the cooking equipment so we didn't have to get the bbq on the go and ours was the house with enough candles and lanterns to get by when darkness fell.
Prepping to me isn't about surviving an event, prepping is just where I left off after the scouts.
13 August 2013, 06:08,
Prepping is very important to me. Having lived through the Second World War and through the three blitzes in Portsmouth, plus the shortage of food, I developed the prepper instinct many years ago. Need I say more? Kenneth Eames.
4 September 2013, 17:21, (This post was last modified: 4 September 2013, 17:24 by Leigh.)
Good question and one we can only answer to ourselves when we check out.
I, for one agree that we'll need our preps one day.
However, being "prep'd" isn't just waiting for society to collapse around us.
I remember being stuck on the M3 for eight hours, b.o.b would have been really handy...
It's great to know that I can feed/water/protect my family for three days from one rucksack.
I enjoy the time I spend with the family (including 2 teenagers) prepping.
I'm confident that we can live "off-grid" for a few months if needed.
Thes skills I've learnt and advice from these forums are golden and can be used in daily life as well as WTSHTF.
It's good to be in a crowd of people knowing that you're likely to be the only one whowould know what to do to protect and thrive in a situation that would probably finish most of those people in a month.

The best thing I've learnt is you can never have enough para cord...

I believe prepping is a journey, not a destination...

...hopefully!

...hopefully!

Good question and one we can only answer to ourselves when we check out.
I, for one agree that we'll need our preps one day.
However, being "prep'd" isn't just waiting for society to collapse around us.
I remember being stuck on the M3 for eight hours, b.o.b would have been really handy...
It's great to know that I can feed/water/protect my family for three days from one rucksack.
I enjoy the time I spend with the family (including 2 teenagers) prepping.
I'm confident that we can live "off-grid" for a few months if needed.
Thes skills I've learnt and advice from these forums are golden and can be used in daily life as well as WTSHTF.
It's good to be in a crowd of people knowing that you're likely to be the only one whowould know what to do to protect and thrive in a situation that would probably finish most of those people in a month.

The best thing I've learnt is you can never have enough para cord...

I believe prepping is a journey, not a destination...

...hopefully!

...hopefully!
4 September 2013, 17:52,
I don't see my preps as a waste if there is no event...i may dip into them in old age as a form of food investment...food bought now will increase in cost manyfold in years to come...when i retire my income will be less than half what it is now so every little helps.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
4 September 2013, 17:55,
all food should be rotated, last in, first out principle, that way none of the food gets old.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 September 2013, 18:37,
Well so far I have lived through stuff like miners strikes, power cuts that lasted for days, riots, civil unrest , winter storms, being snowed in, long term unemployment, food scares galore, 911 and 7/7, the 2008 labour caused reccession, the asecenency of the EUSSR, the loss of lots of rights and civil liberties, the Uk becoming grossly overcrowded and unsettled, energy and water shortages etc.
If it wasnt for my preps I would have been royally screwed on numerous occasions.
4 September 2013, 19:05,
This has popped up again. Well since this original post TSHNHTF most days but for some of us it has. Just like health insurance, car insurance etc. Those that have had accidents, ran out of stuff or keep involved in these things have either been prepared or not. Those that are are usually better off, even if in a trivial manner than those who have not.

Last time it poured down and the street was flooded we didn't have to go out for anything. When the road was impassible we didn't need to use it anyway. These are not SHTF scenarios but our preps come in handy for it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 September 2013, 23:25,
I'd be looking forward to my 91st birthday and the end of the world so I could party on & go out in style..lol. maybe by then I would find the proposition of being a raider more attractive.. ooooh yeaahhh!
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
5 September 2013, 08:21,
I'm looking at prepping as a kind of hobby that just might save my life one day. I know that sounds a bit fair weather to alot of you, but I like my lifestyle, home, holidays etc and won't overspend prepping if I look at it that way.
So for me at least I compromise by keeping my current lifestyle, as well as prepping. No regrets here Smile
5 September 2013, 11:26,
(5 September 2013, 08:21)MCavity Wrote: I'm looking at prepping as a kind of hobby that just might save my life one day. I know that sounds a bit fair weather to alot of you, but I like my lifestyle, home, holidays etc and won't overspend prepping if I look at it that way.
So for me at least I compromise by keeping my current lifestyle, as well as prepping. No regrets here Smile

I think a lot of people see it as a hobby. If so, that's cool. Each and every to their own. You can easily use it as an excuse to do awesome stuff, e.g. rock climbing, orienteering, shooting, archery, running, defensive driving techniques, wilderness skills, foraging, etc. As long as you get done the things that you need to, and learn skills that are worth learning (there's a lot of crap people try to peddle as 'useful survival' stuff) then you're good to go.

I like to do things that p*** off the wife too, like burying a case of food under a part of the garden haha. It's fun to do, winds up the wife, and it's a novel feeling knowing you have that bunkered down in the garden.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin