Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Police Riot gear
9 September 2013, 23:26,
RE: Police Riot gear
:-) So we all come to the same conclusion then - Slugs are exceedingly exceedingly nasty, but you are unlikely to come across anyone using them[/i]. I agree that OO buckshot will be the man stopper of choice for any shotgun Survivalists BUT I also expect standard birdshot of approx size 7.5 to be the likely Shotgun calibre due to this being very far and very away the most common shell in circulation - in the UK anyway. I wonder how that police riot gear would stand up to a blast from bird shot at close and medium ranges?
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
9 September 2013, 23:37,
Well Mr Moats victim was shot in the face at short range and it didn't kill him. It did blind him though. Eyes are soft.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 September 2013, 23:45, (This post was last modified: 10 September 2013, 00:01 by Midnitemo.)
(9 September 2013, 23:26)Timelord Wrote: :-) So we all come to the same conclusion then - Slugs are exceedingly exceedingly nasty, but you are unlikely to come across anyone using them[/i]. I agree that OO buckshot will be the man stopper of choice for any shotgun Survivalists BUT I also expect standard birdshot of approx size 7.5 to be the likely Shotgun calibre due to this being very far and very away the most common shell in circulation - in the UK anyway. I wonder how that police riot gear would stand up to a blast from bird shot at close and medium ranges?

I agree TL the most common cartridges overall are going t or 9 shot and you really don't want to get shot upclose by one of these cartridges , not because they are particularly hard hitting but they will shred you and you'll probably die a lingering death from infwction and or blood loss....horrific.....these cartridges should be used on small flying game not defence.

why does my pc miss out bits i type all the time....grrrr should say 7.5 / 8 and 9 shot most common shells out there

(9 September 2013, 23:37)Skean Dhude Wrote: Well Mr Moats victim was shot in the face at short range and it didn't kill him. It did blind him though. Eyes are soft.

i suspect the bobby moats shot had a fortunate escape...reckon he missed by a narrow margin with the pellets and the damage was done by the powder charge causing localised trauma...the bobby(RIP)looked to whole afterwards to have been shot full force in the face from 5ft or so.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
10 September 2013, 00:28,
I have a book with photographs of 1920's mobsters laid out on the slab after being on the wrong end of a shotgun. The pics show detail of the wounds caused. At very close range, to an unprotected victim, the shotgun pellets did not disperse more than a few inches and had the effect of shredding a cylindrical core maybe 3 or 4 inches across - clean through the torso and out the other side. the wound was actually more damaging at that range than by any other usual type of shotgun ammunition. Very Nasty indeed!
10 September 2013, 00:41,
(10 September 2013, 00:28)Timelord Wrote: I have a book with photographs of 1920's mobsters laid out on the slab after being on the wrong end of a shotgun. The pics show detail of the wounds caused. At very close range, to an unprotected victim, the shotgun pellets did not disperse more than a few inches and had the effect of shredding a cylindrical core maybe 3 or 4 inches across - clean through the torso and out the other side. the wound was actually more damaging at that range than by any other usual type of shotgun ammunition. Very Nasty indeed!

upto maybe 12-15ft but beyond that small shot bleeds of its kinetic energy so quickly people shot beyond that range may well continue to be a threat
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
10 September 2013, 09:08,
Could you not replace the shot with something a bit more "interesting"? Some shot still, but then salt and crushed glass? That'd sting.
10 September 2013, 10:41,
Yes you can but it is little different from birdshot. You don't even need a load. The primer makes a big bang on its own.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 September 2013, 01:23,
The pics of injuries in the books I was talking about were from close range of approx - point blank up to maybe 3 feet away. The shot acted as a solid core at such a close range. Any further than that and it will be dispersing. Of course, a "choked" barrel will affect the end result significantly at close ranges. Many shotguns likely to be in circulation by Joe Public could well be "choked" Clay Pigeon or Farmers guns.
11 September 2013, 02:01,
We have the makings of about 5 different threads here.

As for the effect of arrows on Kevlar, there are many tests of almost everything that can be shot at Kevlar so there is no real need to keep professing opinion as fact. The truth is out there, just google it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IM7Bz2vXtY

As for the spread of shotgun pellets; open choke spreads at the rate of 2.5cm per meter traveled. 10m=25cm pattern.

Buckshot, depending on its size (000b/00b) is considered lethal to 50m, slugs to 100. Many over here shoot deer with slugs and kill them out to 100m easily.

Glass and salt are not heavy enough to carry any distance and usually disappear as a puff of dust when they exit the bore. Been there/done that.

A shotgun shell containing 7 1/2 shot can be pried open and glue squirted in. Turns the shot mass into a solid projectile. Works but not consistently.

One can also remove the shot, melt it and pour it into a simple sand mold made by poking a hole in the sand with a stick whittled to bore size. Been there and done that too, long ago in an emergency situation.

I have molds for recasting shot into 12 and 20 bore single round balls. Also have molds for casting buckshot.
11 September 2013, 07:56,
BM

Returning to the OP, are you in a position to offer
any of the items yet ?