Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stumbled across a cache
8 December 2013, 17:51,
RE: Stumbled across a cache
(8 December 2013, 17:37)Mortblanc Wrote: So the first impulse is note the site for future looting?

Not a mention of going to the owner with;

"You left the light on in the barn cellar. I turned it off for you. If you ever need a hand with any of that type thing let me know, I have much the same on my own."

From the list of items mentioned the owner seems to know what he is doing and at his age might know a thing or two. And imagine what he has inside the house! He might just be a good "new best friend".

A good one to approach today might be a bad one to approach after SHTF.

That's just what i would do as well,..... the fact that you turned the light out without taking anything would likely impress him,..... better him as a friend than not he may just be part of a larger group
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 December 2013, 17:55,
the fact that he had to get someone from outside to do what it was that started this thread, tells me he is NOT part of a larger group and is NOT capable of doing everything himself. I do agree though, it would be better to make a friend of him rather than an enemy, however my remarks, if you bother to read them, did state if he moved on(in that case get to the cache before a third party does!).
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 December 2013, 18:00,
You have no idea what needed to be done!

It could have been work requiring permits or license.

Or perhaps everyone in the "larger group" has a real job and could not drop that to run over and take care of a small problem. Trustworthy, focused, motivated people, like one would want in their group, often do have regular work that they do.
8 December 2013, 18:01,
(8 December 2013, 17:55)bigpaul Wrote: the fact that he had to get someone from outside to do what it was that started this thread, tells me he is NOT part of a larger group and is NOT capable of doing everything himself. I do agree though, it would be better to make a friend of him rather than an enemy, however my remarks, if you bother to read them, did state if he moved on(in that case get to the cache before a third party does!).

Well someone must have put the stores there, so he is either fitter that you think or someone helped him .... and we don't know what Shaysdad99 was there to do.... a very interesting development, would love to know how it turns out
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 December 2013, 18:02,
(8 December 2013, 17:55)bigpaul Wrote: the fact that he had to get someone from outside to do what it was that started this thread, tells me he is NOT part of a larger group and is NOT capable of doing everything himself. I do agree though, it would be better to make a friend of him rather than an enemy, however my remarks, if you bother to read them, did state if he moved on(in that case get to the cache before a third party does!).

You did suggest stealing from the cache at present. This is a bad & immoral idea. Turning the light out also as suggested in a later post is likewise - not wise. I am sure he would not take kindly to workmen snooping in rooms they had no reason to be in. I am certain preppers out of all people would view this in a negative light. Best leave well alone and put it on the mental map for possible future supplies if all has gone down the drain and the owner might not even be alive or may have left town permanently. If forced to bug out in that direction, then it might be a valuable asset but otherwise it could be a dangerous temptation. Possible trying to engage the owner in some mild prep or survival related chat might be a useful option.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
8 December 2013, 18:03,
from the op it gave the idea the cache had been there some time.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 December 2013, 18:04, (This post was last modified: 8 December 2013, 18:05 by Mortblanc.)
Just seems a lot of justification is going on to cover a first impulse of theft and looting.

Marking the spot for future note and "liberating a few small items".

Why can't we just say "stealing" the old man's stuff.
8 December 2013, 18:07, (This post was last modified: 8 December 2013, 18:14 by bigpaul.)
god, your a sanctimonious lot!!!

I've said it before and i'll say it again: I will do ANYTHING to make sure me and mine survive and if I come across stuff I can use i'll make damn sure I can utilise it and not someone else. I always say its better in my stores than somewhere else. anybody who says" oh I cant do that, that not right its wrong" isn't going to survive very long, ethics and morals are ok as long as things are ok, when the world has gone to hell in a handcart you'd better learn fast before some other bastard nabs it first.
8 December 2013, 18:33,
And then there are all those preppers reading the security section and working hard to be properly equipped for when guys like you show up.
8 December 2013, 18:38,
Or how about this scenario:

Shaysdad99: "Someone left the light on in the barn cellar. I turned it off for you. If you ever need a hand with any of that type thing let me know, I have much the same on my own."

Owner: "Thanks! You'll save me a bit on my electricity bill. Glad to hear somebody else is interested in taking care of themselves too. Wish my kids thought like we do. Oh, by the way, do you need any ...... ? I've got an extra case I'll give you if you need it."

FWIW, we DO shoot looters here in Texas...
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!