Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Heres a tool many dont consider for when TSHTF
14 March 2012, 12:57,
RE: Heres a tool many dont consider for when TSHTF
There's a pipe-hawk that looks pretty cool. I can defend myself, then "medicate" myself afterwards!
Superb!
16 March 2012, 01:06, (This post was last modified: 16 March 2012, 01:10 by Timelord.)
[quote='Scythe13' pid='9760' dateline='1331490116']
I think there's a pretty good reason people don't consider them. They are a weapon best used by someone that knows what they are doing. At least with a sword you don't have to be accurate. You don't have to worry about hitting them with the handle, and because of the weight being equally distributed, you're less likely to lose control of it and cut off your own foot.

?????
this reads like a photo negative.. Do you have extensive experience/study with these implements? Please be careful in their use if you think the above is accurate. I would be happy to oblige at some future venue. The reason (modern) people don't consider the axe, is because it is now regarded as a tool and not a primary weapon. There are now many other more sexy/ritualised weapons imprinted in peoples minds, chief of which is the sword.
An axe is an effective, multiuse, robust, simple, devastating weapon. It may well be superior in combat to a sword wielded by an untrained opponent (which would be the modern majority). It is far more effective at cutting through layers of protection, including body armour/helmets. It is easier to carry, smaller, concealable and far less prone to damage. An axe can perform camp duties as well as doubling up as a weapon. An axe does not scream "look at me, I am armed for war" when needing to keep a lower profile.
The cold steel axes are very nice. I have 2, the riflemans hawk which is an excellent camp axe that you could build a log cabin with. The hammer head is very useful as a tool and a mace. It is a bit heavy for a pure combat axe, but would be absolutely devastating if used as such, although a little slow to wield. There would be no blocking the thing once it was being swung. The other I own is the Norse axe. This is a pedigree design that is historically proven over many hundreds of years. It is nice & light and is really a combat axe, not a tool. This axe would be absolutely lethal and quick to turn. The shafts are nice quality, but the stupid American engineering type design with a steel grubscrew threaded from the side of the head into the wood shaft needs removing first before use, or it is liable to split the shaft upon impact. It is unnecessary anyway. TL.

Beware purchasing Cold Steel swords. I have recently been informed that the blades are made out of 01 toolsteel - which is a joke if true - another American knifemaking legacy probably - definitely a no go for sword blades. I am looking into this at the moment. If true, then the Norse sword I own will be consigned to a "wallhanger" only. Shame, it would have been ideal for the Zombie Apocolypse! LOL.
[quote='Timelord' pid='10182' dateline='1331856370']
I think there's a pretty good reason people don't consider them. They are a weapon best used by someone that knows what they are doing. At least with a sword you don't have to be accurate. You don't have to worry about hitting them with the handle, and because of the weight being equally distributed, you're less likely to lose control of it and cut off your own foot.

?????
this reads like a photo negative.. Do you have extensive experience/study with these implements? Please be careful in their use if you think the above is accurate. I would be happy to oblige at some future venue. The reason (modern) people don't consider the axe, is because it is now regarded as a tool and not a primary weapon. There are now many other more sexy/ritualised weapons imprinted in peoples minds, chief of which is the sword.
An axe is an effective, multiuse, robust, simple, devastating weapon. It may well be superior in combat to a sword wielded by an untrained opponent (which would be the modern majority). It is far more effective at cutting through layers of protection, including body armour/helmets. It is easier to carry, smaller, concealable and far less prone to damage. An axe can perform camp duties as well as doubling up as a weapon. An axe does not scream "look at me, I am armed for war" when needing to keep a lower profile.
The cold steel axes are very nice. I have 2, the riflemans hawk which is an excellent camp axe that you could build a log cabin with. The hammer head is very useful as a tool and a mace. It is a bit heavy for a pure combat axe, but would be absolutely devastating if used as such, although a little slow to wield. There would be no blocking the thing once it was being swung. The other I own is the Norse axe. This is a pedigree design that is historically proven over many hundreds of years. It is nice & light and is really a combat axe, not a tool. This axe would be absolutely lethal and quick to turn. The shafts are nice quality, but the stupid American engineering type design with a steel grubscrew threaded from the side of the head into the wood shaft needs removing first before use, or it is liable to split the shaft upon impact. It is unnecessary anyway. TL.

Beware purchasing Cold Steel swords. I have recently been informed that the blades are made out of 01 toolsteel - which is a joke if true - another American knifemaking legacy probably - definitely a no go for sword blades. I am looking into this at the moment. If true, then the Norse sword I own will be consigned to a "wallhanger" only. Shame, it would have been ideal for the Zombie Apocolypse! LOL.
[/quote]

?????

?????

?????

16 March 2012, 09:38,
Cold Steels blades are made in Sieko City Japan and Taiwan I believe

16 March 2012, 15:31,
Even though TL's post isn't visible, you can read it if you go to quote it.

I'd have to agree that my view is one sided. I'm all for an axe, but not at all for a weapon. The reason is only because I've never used one for that.

Of my plans, one of the main ones I have does involve using an axe, but that is only as a building tool. That's probably another reason I'm not a fan of using them as weapons. The slow speed at which an axe can be swung (I'm thinking of big axes here. A small axe would be too short, might as well have a sword), also the potential damage it can cause to oneself if inproperly used. I'd much happier carrying a sword. However, Ideally I'd be further away than that and never have to sort out hand to hand combat.

Give me an axe and I'll give you a cabin. Give me an axe and I'll hurt myself and you haha. But that's just me. My view on axes is just opinion and personal perception/experience.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 March 2012, 19:28, (This post was last modified: 17 March 2012, 19:37 by Timelord.)
Thankyou Scythe, I was only concerned for your welfare in the use of sword or axe. It is a longtime study of mine. Pls see the final paragraph.SmileTL

The axe when used as a tool by inexperienced people can well cause serious injury to the user and this is why it has a reputation so. With very basic care, as similar to using a bushcraft knife, then this can be overcome. Obviously all edged tools must be used with care and not to be overconfident also.
As a weapon, the axe is used very differently. the swings & arcs of attack/defence are not the same as when using it as a tool, so the tool use injuries, where one is usually chopping downward at a fixed wooden object are not really encountered. It is unusual to strike ones own legs or shins. The axe is in fact quite a simple weapon to use and most blows or blocks will be projected forward of the user. A fighting or similar suitable multipurpose axe should be light enough to wield without the weight geting away from you. I am sure some similar considerations would be needed with a sword for the new user. A combat axe is easy enough to redirect and is actually surprisingly efficient in close quarter combat. the range of swing oudoes any normal knife. It is unlikely you would come up against someone wielding a sword. The axe can also be used to block and hook opponents weapons or limbs and so then manouvre to the side or disarm. The axe can be used to punch and combat axes often have a rudimentary thrusting point. An axe will cut through many armours whereas a usual civvy type sword probably will not.
It is in fact true that swords are historically provenanced to be more dangerous to the user than an axe would ever be when used for combat. A sword needs some reasonable level of skill to wield effectively and in close quarters can become entangled. A sword can be broken more easily and the edge is more prone to damage.
A short sword is an excellent all round weapon that can be used efficeintly and well at close quarters. It is less prone to entanglement or damage. A heavier blade can be used which is more effective and robust.
During the Napolionic Wars, it was found that infantry used there short swords 100 times more for cutting up firewood and other camp tasks than they ever did for actual combat. The swords they had were getting damaged & rendered useless anyway due to this, so a new design was introduced. It was just a short sword more like a long knife that was v.heavy duty. Basically a v.shortsword version of a V.heavy duty machete with a point. Single edged. This could be used for camp duties and effective combat at close quarters where the foot soldiers often ended up. There is something to be learned from this nowadays. For the soldiers who had to march everywhere, In trying to reduce the amount of kit and make it multifunctional and if needing a multipurpose utility / weapon, then a compromise between a short sword, axe and big knife was the result. For us preppers, then this is wise knowledge to take into account in our considerations.
I would be happy to show any members how to use the axe for combat or a sword for that matter. (as a recreational historical study of course) I don't get enough practice these days.
(16 March 2012, 09:38)NorthernRaider Wrote: Cold Steels blades are made in Sieko City Japan and Taiwan I believe

Ah yes, their website says 1055 carbon steel. Maybe that is true . I am not sure. Anyway, I just remebered, all this about steel types is superflous relating to their swords anyway. I took my Norse sword apart a few months back, as I always suspected the hilt was compromised. Sure enough, inside trhe badly fitted hilt was justa screw thread tang welded onto the swords own stub tang. this is another of those American knife making legacies that is common place. This design is ok for knofe blades if you wish to speed up the manufacturing process and no serious physical forces are expected. for a sword it is an unequivable - NO!! Absolute tosh. A few hits in anger and the srew tang can shear off at the weld. rendering the sword defunct and seriously increasing the odds of ones own immediate demise. I am going to rework the blade, but at the price they are new, this is not acceptable in the trade. Cold steel make such a big deal about quality and steels etc, but in reality this is basic schoolboy engineering stuff - not even that - just crap. Beware!!
17 March 2012, 21:00,
You seem to know much of what you're on about. It's good to have that kind of feedback and info.

I'll be sticking to an axe as a cabin builder tool, just because I feel comfortable with that. Also, my primary weapon is my ability to run the **** away! haha.

I want to find somewhere that I can actually go on a course to learn how to make a Finlandish type log hut. Either that, or I'll check Amazon for a good book on it.....then wait for pay day :'-( Payday is always so far away.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin