Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fats
20 November 2012, 22:27,
RE: fats
Apart from fats in various foods,.... we have gone for fish oil capsuls, easier to store and easier to use
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 November 2012, 22:31,
about 25 lts veg oil 8 lts sunflower oil 10 lts olive oil tinned ham 40 oily fish 50 tins pork luncheon meat 42 tins .. corned beef 60 tins bacon grill 30 tins sounds alot but not for fifteen people
20 November 2012, 23:03,
Not counting tinned meat and fish as I see them more as a 'meat' source than a 'fat source'.

100l veg oil - my truck runs on it, the oil is GM
5l decent veg oil - eat
3l olive oil - eat
3kg lard - mainly to be used preserving
2kg goose / duck fat - mainly to be used preserving
1kg suet -eat
1kg ghee - eat
4kg butter - eat

I eat a lot of fat. I would store more, but would prefer some where I know the temp is going to be lower and stable.
30 March 2013, 13:14,
(20 November 2012, 20:45)Skean Dhude Wrote: I've stored a lot of oils and cheeses. Although one of my cheeses for some reason went off quickly. Think it got hot and didn't like it. There are fats in nuts as well. i have a lot of those in my famil... stores.

whats the longest you've stored veg oil/olive oil? i've used some that was month or two past "expired" and looked,smelled,tasted fine. there's a lot of conflicting info on storing oils but seems when they go bad they turn rancid which should be noticeable. also read some where that the canned shortening keeps longer than oils.

oils/fat are a critical part of the diet we tend to take for granted now because they are everywhere. just looked at a 1.4l bottle of veg oil: 11,500 calories. takes up about as much space as 2 cans of soup which have about 200 calories each.
30 March 2013, 14:23,
Some of my oils have lasted years. Cheese in wax wrapping has lasted decades. They are stored in a cool place. Not got much experience of butter though.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 March 2013, 14:39, (This post was last modified: 30 March 2013, 14:43 by Luci_ferson.)
lots of tinned sardines. they cheap as hell at the moment and coming with a shelf life until 2017
weve got a lot.

aldi ocean rise in sunflower oil BBE. 30/09/2017 and only 50 odd pence a tin.

I hate fish, but when needs must, youl eat anything.

and a large secret stash of plain dark chocolate (no one else eats it Smile )for some extra fats.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
30 March 2013, 15:33,
(30 March 2013, 14:23)Skean Dhude Wrote: Some of my oils have lasted years. Cheese in wax wrapping has lasted decades. They are stored in a cool place. Not got much experience of butter though.

could you recommend a good cheese for storing, peferrably something kids would eat too?
30 March 2013, 15:34, (This post was last modified: 30 March 2013, 15:36 by Luci_ferson.)
good question. I assume the dry cheases would last longer.
or would you have to use those artificiall fully pasturesed ones or something.

Id buy a full edam and see if that keeps. but the mrs would find it so it would never last long enough to find out.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
30 March 2013, 18:58,
canned olive oil for cooking and dressing
tinned butter for general comsumption and cooking

both last well and taste good after 3 years in basement
30 March 2013, 20:57,
I'll be buying more coconut oil in bulk soon, it doesn't expire from what I've read (although conflicting opinions) and theres loads of articles about it's health benefits.

I have some 5l bottles of olive oil and I buy ghee when it's on offer but I use this often so it doesn't last that long.

I also have plenty tubs of shea butter which I use for my daughters skin but it's a food so could be used in an emergency... obviously its unrefined not the commercial creams!