Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ref the debate about packs of feral dogs after TSHTF
29 July 2013, 22:11,
RE: Ref the debate about packs of feral dogs after TSHTF
(29 July 2013, 22:09)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(29 July 2013, 20:24)Highlander Wrote: Having dogs around you would also be a deterrent to roaming packs, dogs are like any other creature, they will want the soft targets where possible, a group of people with a few dogs would keep wild packs at bay, I will go to great lengths to look after my Shepherds, they will be worth their weight in gold

Unless of course one of your doggies was a bitch in heat !!

I have one dog and two bitches,.. all three have been `done`...
A major part of survival is invisibility.
29 July 2013, 22:16,
Aye thats you OK HL but speaking of people in general affter TSHTF if they surround emselves with dogs they will have to be all male or spayed bitches and spaying wont be an option for most after TSHTF.

I guess that two groups of mutts will survive long term after TSHTF the small wirery terrier types than can scavenge and live off smaller critters like cats, rats, mice, squirrels etc and rubbish left by humans, and then the bigger agressive type like Dobermans, Bull Mastifs, Rotties, Akitas, Alsations etc that will resort to hunting sheep, cattle, goats, deer , smaller dogs, cats, people etc.

And the age old debate still unresolved of what is the best type of dog to have after TSHTF will continue unabated and unresolved forever, some folks will keep a few biggies like my friend HL and his Shepherds and other will prefer the companionship of a pack of tenacious terriers.

29 July 2013, 22:35,
Its strange, but every time I go onto the hill with the dogs, I find I have two out the three dogs who will hunt mice in amongst the heather,..its a pity, the last Shepherd I had that died was an expert at mouse hunting,.. and no she didn't die from eating mice,..Smile

It just goes to show that hunting dogs be they in a pack or not will soon learn to live off the land, and size doesn't have a lot to do with it, although clearly a Shepherd would need lots of mice where as a terrier wouldnt
30 July 2013, 09:28,
A relative of mine was a police dog handler and he had a beautiful shepherd dog it liked to chased squirrels and mice and things, anyway a family of mice moved into a space under his kennel and he used to spend hours trying to ambush the mice, one day after a mouse had shot back into its hole the dog went over and stuck his nose into the hole for a good sniff.

Yup, sudden yelp and mouse sank its teeth into the dogs nose, it wasnt so keen on hunting after that Smile

30 July 2013, 12:00,
(30 July 2013, 09:28)NorthernRaider Wrote: A relative of mine was a police dog handler and he had a beautiful shepherd dog it liked to chased squirrels and mice and things, anyway a family of mice moved into a space under his kennel and he used to spend hours trying to ambush the mice, one day after a mouse had shot back into its hole the dog went over and stuck his nose into the hole for a good sniff.

Yup, sudden yelp and mouse sank its teeth into the dogs nose, it wasnt so keen on hunting after that Smile

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
30 July 2013, 14:54,
our cairn terrier caught a frog the other day, bit it and promptly spat it out..don't think it tasted very nice!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.