Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Police Riot gear
31 August 2013, 09:51, (This post was last modified: 31 August 2013, 09:53 by bigpaul.)
RE: Police Riot gear
how good is this stuff at stopping a shotgun blast at close range or a crossbow bolt, or a broadhead?

TBH I cant see this kind of gear being necessary in the sort of area I live or BM lives, again more a city thing.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 August 2013, 10:16,
@BM

Awaiting response from PM

Cheers
31 August 2013, 15:14,
(31 August 2013, 09:51)bigpaul Wrote: how good is this stuff at stopping a shotgun blast at close range or a crossbow bolt, or a broadhead?

TBH I cant see this kind of gear being necessary in the sort of area I live or BM lives, again more a city thing.

Birdshot is easy to stop. One of the most effective plastics is polycarbonate, commonly used as machine guards and motorcycle helmet visors, and cheaply found in plastic coke bottles. A couple of layers of coke bottle weighs very little and will stop birdshot or air rifle pellets.
31 August 2013, 16:30,
It all depends on what rating the ceramic plates have.
Its usually graded 1-4, 4 being the highest
Take a look at this link to see what ceramic plates can do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRGpQ6-rz8
31 August 2013, 17:05,
(31 August 2013, 09:51)bigpaul Wrote: how good is this stuff at stopping a shotgun blast at close range or a crossbow bolt, or a broadhead?

Kevlar will stop knife thrusts and crossbow bolts.

4 layers will stop most handgun bullets and all shotgun pellets.

I have seen a single layer deflect 9mm and .45acp rounds if set at an angle.

We use a single layer as backstop for out field archery events behind the 3-D targets and most of the fellows are shooting some serious compound bow/carbon fiber arrow combinations.

It can be sewn into normal appearing clothing and worn for daily use like any sport coat, windbreaker or top coat.
3 September 2013, 18:11,
Birdshot is easy to stop. One of the most effective plastics is polycarbonate, commonly used as machine guards and motorcycle helmet visors, and cheaply found in plastic coke bottles. A couple of layers of coke bottle weighs very little and will stop birdshot or air rifle pellets.
[/quote]

A couple of layers of coke bottle will stop an air rifle pellet ? I don't think so my air rifle will put pellets through three tin cans in a row at 10 metres, and its a sub 12ft/lbs so not the most powerful
3 September 2013, 18:34,
The stab proof german stuff might be useful in an urban situation even today.

I think if I was walking in Tottenham I might wear it.

Still awaiting piccys
4 September 2013, 16:10,
(3 September 2013, 18:34)River Song Wrote: The stab proof german stuff might be useful in an urban situation even today.

I think if I was walking in Tottenham I might wear it.

Still awaiting piccys

Sorry RS, thought I'd sent them. Email on route now!
4 September 2013, 16:50,
MB,

Do you think Kevlar would stop a crossbow bolt with a broadhead on it? I'm not so sure. I think my crossbow would go right through.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 September 2013, 19:51,
@BM

PM sent