Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is the ideal place for a UK prepper?
7 October 2013, 22:53,
RE: Where is the ideal place for a UK prepper?
(7 October 2013, 19:21)Jonas Wrote:
(7 October 2013, 15:28)Tibbs735 Wrote: I would really value your opinions on where is, in your opinion, the best place for a prepper / survivalist to set up a retreat, or live in the UK? I'm currently leaning towards rural Northumberland / Cumbria, but I don't know very much about those areas.

Uhhh... Texas? Cool

They won't let us in.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 October 2013, 23:42,
(7 October 2013, 21:55)Highlander Wrote:
(7 October 2013, 17:00)Midnitemo Wrote:
(7 October 2013, 16:52)bigpaul Wrote: trouble is (as we have said before) these are islands, there is a fine amount of land surrounded by water, some are tree less and others are just scrub, a lot of these places the food and supplies have to be shipped in on a regular basis.

the Shetlands have been inhabitted for at least a couple of millenia...things do grow...admitedly not just anything ...peat for fires...fishing ...sheep and ponies....never short of a bit of wind for the turbines...geo thermal heating would work well too...not going to be everyones cuppa tea but i fancy it

If a really life threatening emergency happened you would probably starve on Shetland,.. everything you have said is true, ...if you are a local who has lived the land for many, many years

Almost everything that Shetland has has to be imported, the weather is always against the grower, peat has to sit for a year to dry out,. after you have learnt to cut it,.. fishing, yes when the seas allow,...can you pilot a boat in rough weather?

Shetland would not be for me, Shetland could well be a trap of your own making unless you know the place

I take on board all your saying but i wouldn't do it unless i have funds to do it properly , i'm competent with small boats , love horses and would like livestock , but most of all i love the wildness and the solitude of the place..would pick one of the more remote islands...lot of seabirds to trap and shoot thats currently not allowed but that would change,seals too...more a hunter gatherer environment than a farming one.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
8 October 2013, 22:49,
personally if anything happens ill just be hiding out somewhere here in Northumberland Big Grin
Winter is coming
8 October 2013, 22:52,
One correction to my earlier post. The line of glaciation extends from The Bristol Channel across to The Thames Estuary and not "The Wash" as I posted before. Regards, TL.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"