Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stumbled across a cache
8 December 2013, 18:41,
RE: Stumbled across a cache
most Brits don't know which end is up JP, and as for actually owning a gun(of any sort), didn't you know most Brits are anti hunting and shooting---lilly livered lot, they even banned hunting with dogs!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 December 2013, 18:47,
I have met a few RN and SAS-types over the years. I don't think any of those folks needed a firearm to take care of a stray looter or two. The latter didn't need much of anything other than their hands... Big Grin

Sounds like it's time for you to move on down here to Texas, BP. We'd be happy to have you all nearby!
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
8 December 2013, 18:52, (This post was last modified: 8 December 2013, 19:02 by bigpaul.)
(8 December 2013, 18:47)Jonas Wrote: I have met a few RN and SAS-types over the years. I don't think any of those folks needed a firearm to take care of a stray looter or two. The latter didn't need much of anything other than their hands... Big Grin

Sounds like it's time for you to move on down here to Texas, BP. We'd be happy to have you all nearby!

yes, I know a few ex services from my time in the city. in an earlier life I would have emigrated to America JP, I should really have dual nationality really seeing as how my BIRTH father was American.

I'd love to see The Alamo.

aint going to happen now though.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 December 2013, 20:45,
In my survey work befoee I retired I have also come across caches placed by others. I would generally leave them alone, in case they may be booby trapped. But I would geocode the location and leave a business card in glassine envelope nailed to a blaze of flagging tape near the location.

Our procedure that if the cache was on private property the county engineer would contact the land owner and if they were aware of it, that was the end of it. If they were not aware, an arson investigator and EOD team with dog would be sent to inspect it. If deemed hazardous, it would be removed. If contents were harmless they would be inventoried and replaced unless the landowner requested their removal.

Our county was widely used up through the Cold War period as a military training area, and while sweeps for UXB were made, we did find interesting things on rare occasion.

But these days more concerned with precursors for meth labs or terrorist bomb factories. These have several of each in the 24 years before I retired.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
9 December 2013, 10:57,
now THATS a completely different ball game CH.
9 December 2013, 11:26, (This post was last modified: 9 December 2013, 11:26 by Lightspeed.)
I'd show some respect to the owner, advising him that there was a light on in the barn before you entered.

I'd not tell him I'd been in there. I'd not take anything at all. But I'd remember the location and would chat with the owner to try and work out what he's about.

Before SHTF liberating stuff from someone else's cache, especially if its in a private building, is immoral and is also theft. Don't do it.

After a collapse, stealing that cache may become a necessity, but assume that any serious prepper will have taken measured to protect it in some way, when risk assessing the plan to do so. Also bear in mind that taking a surviving prepper's cache post SHTF could be handing a death sentence to him and his group. Not something to be done lightly.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

9 December 2013, 12:25,
any cache that someone CANNOT keep control of post collapse -i.e. not on their land or property, is not going to be of much use to them and may not be there when they really need it??
9 December 2013, 12:38,
Agreed BP, but OP is here and now and in a privately owned building.

Post SHTF the meaning of ownership will change. The owner will be the person who is in possession and able to defend it
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

9 December 2013, 14:21,
(9 December 2013, 12:38)Lightspeed Wrote: Agreed BP, but OP is here and now and in a privately owned building.

Post SHTF the meaning of ownership will change. The owner will be the person who is in possession and able to defend it

that's true, but even now in the good times, if someone isn't in permanent control of their cache, I'm thinking of say a small blue tub buried in the woods or common land somewhere here, then one day you'd come back to it and find its "gone walkies"! granted this isn't what the op was about so I digress!Big Grin
9 December 2013, 15:25,
burying a cache on public land or somebody elses land is a risk you take but you wouldn't expect people to take a cache from your own land and especially inside a building , i'd be pretty pissed off and I know there are some thieving toerags out there but still in your own barn i'd expect it to be safe, guess the guy made a big faux pas leaving a light on but we are all human, I would have left everything alone and just made a mental note of for the future and whatever that may bring.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!