Survival UK Forums

Full Version: SUK HT PROGRAMMING PROTOCOL (proposal)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(6 November 2012, 11:07)Tdvsko Wrote: [ -> ]
(6 November 2012, 11:03)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]I love this post, but it's confusing me.

I'm not a radio tech guy. So to make it simple, could someone please PM me the name of a radio to buy, and then talk me through the protocol, or how to put it into place.

Once that's done, I'm good to go.

Think of it like a microwave. You don't need to know how it works to cook a meal. You just need to plug it in, press the button, and food is done. Same with a radio (for me at least). Just tell me which to buy, and what buttons to press. I'll get that done, and job's a good'un.

same for me please as well thanks

I think that's what LS is trying to do. Good work LS.

Buy a Baofeng UV5R, with the programming cable. When LS has finished his programming doc you'll be able to dump this into your radio via the cable to set it up for you. Simples Wink
Hi Scythe13.
PM in yout in-box.

LS
Hi Gary5wift.

Thank you.

Re: I think that's what LS is trying to do. Buy a Baofeng UV5R, with the programming cable. When LS has finished his programming doc you'll be able to dump this into your radio via the cable to set it up for you. Simples Wink

Spot on mate.

The advice posted to the guys who asked is:

You need one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BaoFeng-UV-5R-...27c8556e2e

It will cover PMR446, 2meter Amateur, 0.7meter Amateur, marine VHF Bands , allowing you to both transmit and receive on all of them. In addition it has an FM Broadcast receiver and flashlight.

Range willbe between 1 and 5 miles in normal conditions and up to 20 miles in perfect locations ( my first comms with as similar device was North Devon coast to the Brecon Beacons, but that's exceptional)

The linked product is specific. Its UK so if product faulty you can return it OK, also this particular offer comes with Programming software and cable . As stated, in the thread, once the protocol is agreed, i'll upload a program file that can be downloaded into the radio and it'll be programmed exactly for that protocol.
Link not working L.S... just got this message:

This listing (BaoFeng-UV-5R-...27c8556e2e) has been removed, or this item is not available.
Please check that you've entered the correct item number
Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.
This one works: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...2yl955st_e
(6 November 2012, 11:03)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]I love this post, but it's confusing me.

I'm not a radio tech guy. So to make it simple, could someone please PM me the name of a radio to buy, and then talk me through the protocol, or how to put it into place.

Once that's done, I'm good to go.

Think of it like a microwave. You don't need to know how it works to cook a meal. You just need to plug it in, press the button, and food is done. Same with a radio (for me at least). Just tell me which to buy, and what buttons to press. I'll get that done, and job's a good'un.

Exatctly Scythe 13.

Radios are a tool. People may want to know how they work, or maybe not as long as they work as intended.

Think of walkie talkies as being 1 to 5 mile range and disappointment will be avoided.

This thread is really to ask people with technical and operating experience to critique the proposal I am making. I know what works for me and my group, but others will have valuable insights that I've missed and I would like to include thes in the thinking process here so that the non-technical users get the best possible advice.

With the recommended kit, as long as users have sufficient computer skills ( and equipment) to set up the programming software. The programming of the final protocol can be distributed across the SUK group as electronic data files. The radios that are so programmed will all then be completely compatible with one another.
(6 November 2012, 11:45)BrixhamBadger Wrote: [ -> ]Link not working L.S... just got this message:

This listing (BaoFeng-UV-5R-...27c8556e2e) has been removed, or this item is not available.
Please check that you've entered the correct item number
Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.
This one works: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...2yl955st_e

Thanks for the fedback BB

Looks like some of our enterprising friends have already cleared that stock completely! Pretty good going as I only posted half an hour ago.

Your link hooks up to the right product. thanks. But for the ability to take advantage of the offered programming protocol as a download, anyone buying one of these should also get the programming cable and software. On e-bay the rig plus program cable and software can usually be found from UK suppliers for round 40GBP This is for first generation gear.

There are two new generations The UV5rPLUS and the PlusIII, which may be worth considering.

For a few pounds less the UV3r is also available, its much smaller, and 2w power as opposed to 4 or 5 w power ofthe UV5r. Its completely compatible frequency-wise. The UV3r MkII is preferred by the girls in my group as they can carry it discreetly without looking like a Para-military!
First update to protocol

PMR 446 frequencies
2m calling Frequency
0.7m calling frequency
Marine Coastguard and Distress frequencies

Have you contacted these guys for a bulk discount?
http://www.sinotel.co.uk/
(6 November 2012, 14:01)Keithb Wrote: [ -> ]Have you contacted these guys for a bulk discount?

Cheers Keith,

Not yet, but they are on the list :-)

(6 November 2012, 14:01)Keithb Wrote: [ -> ]Have you contacted these guys for a bulk discount?

Done.

Awaiting reply.

LS
??? Just had a quick look and there appears to be multiple UV5R models A B C etc , Is there a difference and or which ones should folks be loooking at?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10