Survival UK Forums

Full Version: SUK HT PROGRAMMING PROTOCOL (proposal)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Paul/TLN

Thanks for the builds on the image provided by LS. This is exactly what was hoped for, i.e. everyone to use the images created by LS as a common starting point and to build on this with local repeaters and other stations/channels that are appropriate to your own location/situation. Smile
Now if you haven't thought about it yet, lets set up your local HF coverage i.e. the humble CB set.
No programming needed, easy peasy.

Two channels 9 and 19.
09 (27.68125 MHz, UK, NFM) For dedicated Emergency traffic
19 (27.78125 MHz, UK, NFM) For general contacts and for initial emergency contact.

For interest, The European Frequencies
09 (27.06500 Mhz, CEPT, EU, US, AM) For dedicated Emergency traffic
19 (27.20500 MHz, CEPT, EU, US, AM) For general contacts and for initial emergency contact.
ATTENTION.

From CHIRPS UV-5R page :

"IMPORTANT NOTE:
Although CHIRP image files are interchangeable between radios with Firmware BFB290 and prior, this is NOT true with newer releases BFB291 and newer.

If you have a radio with Firmware BFB291 and one with BFB293, you MUST have a separate image file for each."

Our channel image files were done with the supplied VIP software, which WERE compatible , just make sure if/when you swap setup files - they are done by VIP and not CHIRP.
(17 November 2012, 15:21)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]Now if you haven't thought about it yet, lets set up your local HF coverage i.e. the humble CB set.
No programming needed, easy peasy.

Two channels 9 and 19.
09 (27.68125 MHz, UK, NFM) For dedicated Emergency traffic
19 (27.78125 MHz, UK, NFM) For general contacts and for initial emergency contact.

For interest, The European Frequencies
09 (27.06500 Mhz, CEPT, EU, US, AM) For dedicated Emergency traffic
19 (27.20500 MHz, CEPT, EU, US, AM) For general contacts and for initial emergency contact.

Nearing the final choice on a new CB mate , probably will be only low and mids though , no hi Sad
I'll be honest and say i dont have the slightest clue what you're on about
(19 November 2012, 22:01)Destiny Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be honest and say i dont have the slightest clue what you're on about

Hi Destiny.

Thanks for bringing us back to earth.

The idea here has been to find a universally viable hand held two way radio. ( we've been considering a product from the Chinese manufacturer Baofeng called a UV5r. It seems to meet a wide range of prepper needs

Trouble is that if you buy one from e-bay, you'll receive a highly complex piece of equipment. Its not ready to use straight out of the box like a mobile phone.

The solution we've developed is to use the UV5Rs program through computer capability. If preppers decide thatthe radio is right for them, and purchase one with the necessary programming cable and software, we have written a program that can be downloaded into the radio that will set up all participating Preppers radios on the same channels and frequencies. Why is this important? Well, lets move forward in time to a point that we have a lot of preppers using these radios with the proposed channel set-up, then if a major event occured that knocked out the electrical grid and telephony, we could agree to use , say< Channel 11 as out universal calling channel, knowing that eeryone else who has prepped in the same way as us will be listening for communications on that channel. Its a way of simplistic coordination of everybodies equipment to ensure compatibility.

TLN is describing that different versions of the same radio have different operating systems ( like computers) and that the program (IMAGE) files will not be compatible with all versions. We will need to prepare image files for each version.

Does this make more sense?
(15 November 2012, 21:49)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]TLN, you mention MARINE VHF.
Which one, UK or international aka American?

It should be UK as we're a UK specific group.

Yesterday I crossed the Channel and can confirm that a number of the channels Garry specified were very active. (big gales in the channel and many vestles having difficulties)

(16 November 2012, 21:38)The Local Ned Wrote: [ -> ]Just as a point to note - I am nowhere near coastal.

Marine comms traffic is not within my current comms capability at my location.
What I meant was ,the radio accepted the channel freq and was able to transmit on all.

Sorry for any confusion.

Even if not coastal, remember that Marine Ch16VHF FM is used for air se rescue, who venture inland as well.

The same channels is also used by Mountain rescue.

So it fairly handy to have programmed in.

I use 99 as its easy to remember.... probably your logic about 999 calls is invisibly behind this thought process
(15 November 2012, 19:54)The Local Ned Wrote: [ -> ]Ok , here's my take on the list after trying both images on my handset.

Smile They both work fine.

One thing I did notice was , although all the 'naughty if caught on them' , channels were disabled on the pre SHTF image , there was a few channels with high power already enabled ?

Also - on my own handset I had the SOS / CGRD freq on CH99 , just as a nod to the '999' service , in an emergency pressing '9's seems the right thing for me...just a quirk of mine.

CH16 - 'RF noisy' for me , CHS' - 20,50,70,80 and 81 likewise.
CHS' 92 and 99 were 'busy' also , with faint RF.

One question - It seemed as though there was a split with the deviation between the bands - Narrow on 70cm and Wide on 2m ?
-I have all of mine set for narrow , as I thought that the wide setting was for channels that required extra bandwidth for 'broadcast' comms ?

All in all , a good effort from ALL involved.

On a side note - I'm just looking at CHIRP , and it has options for -

-EU , LPD and PMR.
-MARINE VHF.
-NOAA Weather Alert ( USA - I know ).
-U.S - 60m
-U.S - FRS GMRS MURS.

..and U.S calling frequencies already setup as options to load.

Might be worthwhile keeping an eye on that for future developments.

Hi TLN,

Re Narrow / Wide deviation:

Intention was to put the PMR channels and near to compliant as possible, which means narrow.

For everything else Wide should have been the choice to give maximum bandwidth and readability.
Hi LS

I think that TLN has confirmed that the images provided are backwards compatible and work with v291 and earlier, we now just need someone with v293 or later to confirm forward compatibility and we are good to go Big Grin
I intend to get a UV-5R+.
Will that help in finding out about forward compatibility?

Sorry for going over old ground if that has already been checked.
And please please please I will need help to get my radio up and running.
hi Mandlaka

My radio is a UV-5R+ but they come with different versions of the firmware dependent upon how new it is and where it is sourced from. The only way to tell which version you have is to hold down button 3 whilst turning on the radio - this will then display the firmware version number in the display.
(22 November 2012, 18:41)gary5wift Wrote: [ -> ]hi Mandlaka

My radio is a UV-5R+ but they come with different versions of the firmware dependent upon how new it is and where it is sourced from. The only way to tell which version you have is to hold down button 3 whilst turning on the radio - this will then display the firmware version number in the display.

Thanks gary,

Or up front of purchase some e-bay retailers show / declare the software version of the radios that they sell. This allows you to choose the version you require.
(22 November 2012, 21:28)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]
(22 November 2012, 18:41)gary5wift Wrote: [ -> ]hi Mandlaka

Thanks gary,

Or up front of purchase some e-bay retailers show / declare the software version of the radios that they sell. This allows you to choose the version you require.

Excellent.
I will recce with you experts before making the purchase.

I am thinking of getting 2 units so as to have a backup that will never be available once the SHTF. Or should I get 3?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10