Survival UK Forums

Full Version: SUK HT PROGRAMMING PROTOCOL (proposal)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[attachment=146][attachment=147][attachment=148]
(6 November 2012, 15:08)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]??? Just had a quick look and there appears to be multiple UV5R models A B C etc , Is there a difference and or which ones should folks be loooking at?

As per my post above there are three versions the basic one, the Plus version and the UV5rC

The Plus is a firmware upgrade plus minor cosmetic changes on the original version.

The UC5rC is the newest arrival and is a completely different housing to the previous ones.

Advantage of the original and the Plus version is that they will take the huge capacity 3,300mAh accessory power pack as well as the OEM manufactured AAA power pack adaptors that are available on the market.

Pics of the three options attached
Gracias Senor Speedy
As requested by LS, a simple way of life.

Generally accepted CB Calling Channels
Channel 09 UK FM (27.68125 MHz) Emergency Traffic Only
Channel 14 UK FM (27.73125 MHz) Static or static to mobile
Channel 19 UK FM (27.78125 MHz) Mobile to mobile only

Suggested Channel Allocation for SUK Communications
Channel 09 UK FM (27.68125 MHz) Emergency Traffic Only
Channel 03 UK FM (27.62125 MHz)
Channel 33 UK FM (27.92125 MHz)

This is where you go to chat and call SUK members!

Alternative Channel Allocation for SUK Communications for those with Euro capable radio sets.
Channel 03 Eu/CEPT AM (26.9850 MHz )
Channel 33 Eu/CEPT AM (27.3350 MHz )

There are range advantages using the alternative Eu/CEPT channels. AM carries further than the UK FM does. It's quieter on these channels too.

Notes:-
  • For interest EU/CEPT Channel 09 is 27.0650 MHz AM
  • The whole idea of calling out for help is to get LOCAL UK BASED assistance in an emergency and that is best served by working UK CB ONLY.
  • SSB is not included as it has been deemed too difficult.
  • CB is designed for short range communications.
  • It is not secure, private, or owned by anyone SO REMEMBER YOUR OPSEC!

Thanks Paul.

Life is SO much more simple in the world of CB isn't it!

Well that's CB covered, i'd better hurry up and get the VHF / UHF side of things up to speed!

73 de

Lightspeed.
Blimey, LS, I was only speaking about this the other day! Spoooooooooky!
Thanks! Great idea! Smile
Bang on the nose Paul.
K I S S.
Currently deciding options on a small multi-channel 27 meg rig to put by for that.

LS - one quick point to note -

Motorolas were sometimes quirky with their adaptation of CTCSS / DCS etc.
Other brands may well be the same.

Any choices we make using those codes should be compatible with other radios.
Please bear in mind that some of our number may be happy with their own small PMR446 radios , we should take this into consideration , or offer recommendations that radios with the CTCSS / DCS codes.

THE USE OF SQUELCH CODES ( CTCSS / DCS ) DOES NOT GUARANTEE PRIVACY OR SECRECY.

Most experienced users only have to press a certain button on their radio to have it detect and open the same CTCSS code used , the UV-5R also does this , the squelch codes are not a 'scrambling' system , they merely filter out all signals NOT using the same CTCSS code as your own radio , meaning - they will still hear YOU , but you WON'T hear THEM.

As I have mentioned in PMs I am still working around the Baofeng BF888-S way of using these codes and its software - to match it with the UV-5R.

As an aside - there are at least 5 different models of the UV-5R out there , some are cosmetic changes only , others have an upgraded firmware.
Also - there is a known issue with fake prog cables with them , the chip inside the fake cable itself is a chinese copy of the prolific serial chip ,and is a total bastard to get working successfully , I think I already posted a link on another previous post regarding the correct site to visit for the software and drivers to get all cables working for these chinese radios.

Your mileage may vary , you may get a good cable , and install the correct drivers straight away depending on your I.T skills , but once these HTs are setup correctly , all our own channels , local repeater freqs ( varies by location ) etc - they are a joy to use.
I want to take this a step further and have a SUK verification system linked to the channels. Anyone interested in getting involved in the discussion let me know and I'll set something up.
This is really deep for me but looks like will answer my as yet unanswered question on how I will maintain comms with the rest of the world after SHTF.

Thanks for all the effort, Sir Speedy.

I am no radio tech so I will happily go along with whatever has been decided you the experts.
Once it is all sorted, I will look to get my codes and so need to investigate getting some handsets.

Another item on the ever expanding to-do list...
(6 November 2012, 23:26)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]I want to take this a step further and have a SUK verification system linked to the channels. Anyone interested in getting involved in the discussion let me know and I'll set something up.

Exactly perfect timing for this SD.

Now is the time for validation protocols.

The intenion is to use channels 90 to 98 for this purpose.

(6 November 2012, 23:29)Mandlaka Wrote: [ -> ]This is really deep for me but looks like will answer my as yet unanswered question on how I will maintain comms with the rest of the world after SHTF.

Thanks for all the effort, Sir Speedy.

I am no radio tech so I will happily go along with whatever has been decided you the experts.
Once it is all sorted, I will look to get my codes and so need to investigate getting some handsets.

Another item on the ever expanding to-do list...

Hi Mandlaka, and welcome.

Look back through this section for teh recommended kit section, this will give you a better idea of the options we have explored and the decisions made.

There is no one right way to address survival coms need, but there are certainly some wrong ways! Most important is to have a suystem that will be compatible with a maximum number of other survivalists. Probably the most effective solution in this respect currently is CB radio. The walkie talkies being discussed here are a bridge between PMR446 and Ham radio that has only really become an affordable option in the last two or three years.
Thanks for your support here TLN.

Re motorola PMR rigs I know the issues you are talking about as I have a couple of them in my stable.

The channel protocol I'm suggesting here works fine with these radios.

For any Newbies reading this reply, TLN has a wealth of hands on operating experience, particularly on current model VHF and UHF radios.

His advice has the backing of very thorough field testing, so is very much worth seeking if you have any queries.

Thanks Ned.
(6 November 2012, 23:26)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]I want to take this a step further and have a SUK verification system linked to the channels. Anyone interested in getting involved in the discussion let me know and I'll set something up.

Ummm I'm getting a bit twitchy here guys.

I thought the comms system we were discussing was to enable the maximum number of "prepper friendlies" to communicate on.

Now it sounds like you're talking data burst identification???
That's custom circuitry and programming.
The sort of product you sell to people to keep lesser mortals out.

Please clarify what you've got in mind.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10