Survival UK Forums

Full Version: SUK HT PROGRAMMING PROTOCOL (proposal)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(22 November 2012, 22:39)Mandlaka Wrote: [ -> ]
(22 November 2012, 21:28)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]
(22 November 2012, 18:41)gary5wift Wrote: [ -> ]hi Mandlaka

My radio is a UV-5R+ but they come with different versions of the firmware dependent upon how new it is and where it is sourced from. The only way to tell which version you have is to hold down button 3 whilst turning on the radio - this will then display the firmware version number in the display.

Thanks gary,

Or up front of purchase some e-bay retailers show / declare the software version of the radios that they sell. This allows you to choose the version you require.

Excellent.
I will recce with you experts before making the purchase.

I am thinking of getting 2 units so as to have a backup that will never be available once the SHTF. Or should I get 3?

Hi Mandlaka

Getting multiple units is a good idea. Duplication and standardisation are he way to plan.

Remember that for your very local needs PMR446 radios will be networkable with the UV5rs so are a very low cost way of keeping in touch. ( by local I mean 1/2 mile or so.

Also consider how you are going to keep your radios charged in a grid down situation? The UV5Rs have very good stand by time but will need recharging eventually. How will you recharge them?

I'm using a combination of UV5r and UV3r tyope devices, mainly because the UV3Rs are lower power consumption and I have many options to charge them from solar to hand powered dynamos. They are more complex to use than the UV5R, but use of the programming protocol considerably resolves this.

Think through how you intend to use the radios and how you will keep them powered and make decisions based on this.
Much appreciated for mentioning this, LS.

I have been searching for the hand cranked dynamos but am coming up with stuff that is not what I need (as far as I can see).

I would appreciate some help with links to something real I can use for my laptop, radios and mobile (if it will help after SHTF).

Thanks again
I am hoping to be able to get a 12v wind turbine off a boat,..I know of at least one boat that is about to be scraped that has a lovely turbine on it,... I think thats the way to go reguarding battery charging
You can also get decent solar chargers at reasonable cost that will keep most things going.
(23 November 2012, 18:04)Mandlaka Wrote: [ -> ]Much appreciated for mentioning this, LS.

I have been searching for the hand cranked dynamos but am coming up with stuff that is not what I need (as far as I can see).

I would appreciate some help with links to something real I can use for my laptop, radios and mobile (if it will help after SHTF).

Thanks again

For emergency charging my little UV3r type HTs I use these. At less than 1.50 delivered, they are a good backup. They won't last forever of course but as emergency power they are fine ( for me) :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Hand-Power...27b9b9cd93
Those expedition Power Monkeys sold on Amazon look interesting but I'm guessing a techy could build a recharger much cheaper.
https://powertraveller.com/index.php
(26 November 2012, 10:28)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Those expedition Power Monkeys sold on Amazon look interesting but I'm guessing a techy could build a recharger much cheaper.
https://powertraveller.com/index.php

Yep theses are good for slow accumulation of solar charge and subsequent powering USM powered devices like the UV3R

Wet and Cold pointed us at an offer from Maplins earlier in the year fro similar, but slightly more powerful, devices for 5.00 each. we have a couple of them and they work very well indeed.

Neither the crharger above, nor this device will power the UV5r though. Their voltage output is only viable for the UV3r mictro transceivers.

TLN and I have been considering the use of Clansman Handheld generators and step down voltage transformers. These are ultra durable, but heavy as anyone who's ever used one will know. I've not gotten past the thinking stage, and I think TLN is now satisfied with his man pack setup and not progressed the idea either? This idea will need someone to pick it up and experiment with it some more. Any takers??
So I think ( sometimes I do honestly) that if you chaps are settling on UV5Rs, extension antenna, frequency lists etc perhaps you guys could investigate finding a suitable solar charger or solar / hand cranked charger to refuel the radios with ??
(26 November 2012, 11:45)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]So I think ( sometimes I do honestly) that if you chaps are settling on UV5Rs, extension antenna, frequency lists etc perhaps you guys could investigate finding a suitable solar charger or solar / hand cranked charger to refuel the radios with ??

Good point NR

My own solution is not as efficient as it could be but it works.... I have a 12v based man-pack that is charged from mains, car 12v, or solar. I have a 12v charger for the HT that connects into the Manpack.

Has anyone else developed alternate charging methods?
Yerse Smile, we or you radio chappettes need a pretty reliable and affordable PV or crank or both charger to keep your PMRS functioning long term.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10