Survival UK Forums

Full Version: SUK HT PROGRAMMING PROTOCOL (proposal)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Could you share details of the manpack please LS? is it home made or did you buy it ready made?

(27 November 2012, 13:04)gary5wift Wrote: [ -> ]Could you share details of the manpack please LS? is it home made or did you buy it ready made?

In the spirit of amateur radio its all home brewed :-)

The article that TLN posted on the main site covers everything needed.

Using tubular framed carriers ruck sacks, ruckstools or even shoppig trolleys, provide support for truck mirror mount antenna bases. Good lightweight stainless steel ones that have pivot adjustment can be had from China for very little money. Usingthese allows the attached antenna to be set verticallt either when carrying the man pack or when its lying down.
Thanks LS, i'll look for TLN's article

73 de Gary Smile
I've 2 ways of looking at this.

1.Purpose it will be used for.
2.Power required for purpose over the period it is likely to be used for.

As I've stated before my general aim was to create something with better Rx / Tx capabilities than the std stubby antenna found on these handsets , it will be used as a form of midrange comms - main purpose being able to communicate with BOL AND other patrols midrange radios within the group.

The power I require for this will be in the form of a portable 12vDC sealed lead battery unit ( 17ah ) Such as this one...
the handset being connected to a battery eliminator Such as this...
, this portable unit will also double up as power for other equipment if needed.

It can also be used simply with a spare battery backup - for personal patrol comms use only.

How will the portable power unit be recharged ? - 12V PV panel.
Such as - this one...

Maybe a small wind turbine if I can come up with a workable option.

As I don't intend to do long range patrols every day, this unit shouldnt be used too regularly.
I'm no power expert or genius with electricity , but I think this should cover the radios power needs at least.

TLN.
(26 November 2012, 11:23)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]
(26 November 2012, 10:28)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Those expedition Power Monkeys sold on Amazon look interesting but I'm guessing a techy could build a recharger much cheaper.
https://powertraveller.com/index.php

Yep theses are good for slow accumulation of solar charge and subsequent powering USM powered devices like the UV3R

Wet and Cold pointed us at an offer from Maplins earlier in the year fro similar, but slightly more powerful, devices for 5.00 each. we have a couple of them and they work very well indeed.

Neither the crharger above, nor this device will power the UV5r though. Their voltage output is only viable for the UV3r mictro transceivers.

TLN and I have been considering the use of Clansman Handheld generators and step down voltage transformers. These are ultra durable, but heavy as anyone who's ever used one will know. I've not gotten past the thinking stage, and I think TLN is now satisfied with his man pack setup and not progressed the idea either? This idea will need someone to pick it up and experiment with it some more. Any takers??

Hi LS , sorry , I have been lying low for a few weeks on the board and havent had time to catch up with you.
As regards the Clansman crank genny - its a brilliant piece of kit , I've used one before on a signals cadre , but never out in the field , it is a very capable ,and very simple piece of equipment.

If you pick one up you will be surprised at how effective it is when used as power for a small burst transmission when the battery is dead , and how good it is at recharging a battery - although, it is time consuming AND energy prohibitive.

Incidentally 3800mah battery with external power jack available for UV-5R now....can be charged from 12v dc by adaptor - such as this....
or 8.4v ac charger I believe...... -such as this....

Could be useful.
TLN.
where can i download the suk image for my uv5r please
Finally got the dat files loaded on the main site.

http://survivaluk.net/genref/92-2/95-2/9...ion-files/
TLN,

thanks for your advice here. As always its good to have advice from someone who's tested it in the real world.

We're also using the 17AH jump starter power packs. They are excellent value and are effectively pre-wired for our needs. We found one that's even better value than yours, and it comes with both mains and 12v charge connectors. Ours have been in operation for 6 months now with no problems, even when running 100w Ham gear. See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jump-Start-12-...2c6a5da560

LS
(7 December 2012, 22:53)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Finally got the dat files loaded on the main site.

Thanks SD

NOTE TO USERS OF THE TWO IMAGE FILES:

THESE IMAGES ARE FOR THE UV5R-PLUS MODEL, AND WORK WITH SOFTWARE DESCRIBED EARLIER.

IT WOULD BE HELPFUL IF SOMEONE WITH PRE-PLUS MODEL COULD SUBMIT VERSIONS OF THESE IMAGES AND SPECIFY SOFTWARE TO BE USED FOR UPLOADING THEM.

(8 December 2012, 08:16)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]TLN,

thanks for your advice here. As always its good to have advice from someone who's tested it in the real world.

We're also using the 17AH jump starter power packs. They are excellent value and are effectively pre-wired for our needs. We found one that's even better value than yours, and it comes with both mains and 12v charge connectors. Ours have been in operation for 6 months now with no problems, even when running 100w Ham gear. See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jump-Start-12-...2c6a5da560

LS
(7 December 2012, 22:53)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Finally got the dat files loaded on the main site.

Thanks SD

NOTE TO USERS OF THE TWO IMAGE FILES:

THESE IMAGES ARE FOR THE UV5R-PLUS MODEL, AND WORK WITH SOFTWARE DESCRIBED EARLIER.

IT WOULD BE HELPFUL IF SOMEONE WITH PRE-PLUS MODEL COULD SUBMIT VERSIONS OF THESE IMAGES AND SPECIFY SOFTWARE TO BE USED FOR UPLOADING THEM.

PS Thanks to TLN and Gary5wift for testing and revieing.
i have plus and pre-plus so anyone programmed the suk protocol with pre-plus let me know please
I have had no success with this at all, I have two uv-5r, and I can seem to do anything with them... how do I enter the suk protocol into the radios

I have the cd and data cable
(1 January 2013, 22:58)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]I have had no success with this at all, I have two uv-5r, and I can seem to do anything with them... how do I enter the suk protocol into the radios

I have the cd and data cable

I've installed it on 3 UV-5Rs so far. One BFB251 (mine) and 2 BFB291s.

Do you have the correct software for your device? If you turn your radio off, hold down 3 and turn it back on it'll flash up with the firmware version. Depending on what it says BFBxxx (where xxx is a number) then you may need different software and drivers to those supplied with the cable. I use the VIP software, but a patched version that allowed me to expand the tx and rx from 400 - 480 to 380 - 520

There's a really helpful UV-5R yahoo user group which covers most issues. If you need any help PM me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10