Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
What have done towards your prep?
16 July 2024, 14:44,
RE: What have done towards your prep?
(16 July 2024, 14:22)Pete Grey Wrote:
(16 July 2024, 08:16)bigpaul Wrote: keeping anything secret may be difficult, forums like this and others are probably monitored by TPTB.

Maybe they are monitored, but we do not use our full names or email address, have they the time ? , we’re small fry and no threat, they can’t evenkeep track of terrorists.

thats true and we are talking about post SHTF actions not in the here and now.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 July 2024, 19:08,
(6 July 2024, 20:21)Pete Grey Wrote: New preppers and guests.....have you made a plan yet ?

Lighting.......Have you any plans for lighting when there is no mains electricity ?.

Candles and oil lamps are a very useful prep (we do have some) but I am always very wary of naked flames when there are safer options like windup LED lanterns and USB rechargeable LED lamps.

Then you need the means to recharge them, even a single folding solar panel (100watt ? ) would be good.

Shelter, security, water, food, cooking, heating, lighting, first aid, medication, communication, power, transport.
17 July 2024, 07:52,
solar panels need sunlight, not always available in a British winter.
candles are safe if enclosed in a candle lantern.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 July 2024, 13:06,
Video  RE: What have done towards your prep? pete better
(17 July 2024, 07:52)bigpaul Wrote: solar panels need sunlight, not always available in a British winter.
candles are safe if enclosed in a candle lantern.

Solar panels just need daylight obviously sunlight is much better. Winter daylight should charge usb devices or some AA/AAA’s, i’m not talking about running major appliances.

Shelter, security, water, food, cooking, heating, lighting, first aid, medication, communication, power, transport.
17 July 2024, 13:41,
we are having solar panels fitted at the end of the month so we will see how good they are.
17 July 2024, 18:20,
Paul are having any battery storage or do you plan to include it a latter date ?.

18 July 2024, 11:05,
(17 July 2024, 18:20)Pete Grey Wrote: Paul are having any battery storage or do you plan to include it a latter date ?.

no battery storage, the solar panels are being provided free of charge by Housing Association as part of upgrading their properties, of course the rent will go up at some point but then it always does and HA rent is cheaper than private rental.
18 July 2024, 15:36,
I hope you are not implying that you don't register your Crossbow when the Stasi demands you turn them in. I have already sold all mine at a local car boot sale as well as all my metal sporks and anything else that the wusses worry about.

Registration is the first step to confiscation.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
18 July 2024, 19:14,
Anyone who has got a crossbow or any weapon the authorities might frown upon for when TSHTF,
it would be advisable for you to keep them hidden until we are WROL when anything goes.

18 July 2024, 19:31,
(6 July 2024, 20:21)Pete Grey Wrote: New preppers and guests.....have you made a plan yet ?

I am not being patronising and make no apologies for these posts which I make in good faith.

So....FIRST AID....

Let’s face it accidents happen, and when there may be no medical care available we need to be extra careful in what we do, especially when using knives/tools etc, and if possible wear appropriate or protective clothing, and don’t forget your eyes.

We have first aid kits everywhere, basic each for EDC, larger vehicle kits in case we encounter a RTA, a large household kit kept in the kitchen where most accidents occur, then the SHTF crate with the bulk of our long term first aid preps.

When the inevitable happens you need to stop any bleeding, clean the wound, close it if it gapes open and then dress it, sounds simple.

Have you done a first aid course ?, there’s only so much an untrained person can do but a good course gives you confidence, you don’t faff about you just get on and do what you need to do.

So boiled water, wound wash, diluted hydrogen peroxide, dakins fluid (google it) for clearing the wound, povidone iodine, colloidal silver are useful antiseptics, steri-strips or micropore tape to close the wound, if nothing else gaffer tape, leave some way for the wound to drain.

Then sterile dressings, stock up as many as you can, you may have to redress the wound a couple of times a day for two or three weeks.

Melolin or similar dressings 5cm x 5cm 200 of, 10cm x 10cm the same I would consider the minimum, inodine dressings (contain povidone iodine) are very good.

Then cotton wool (lots of it), absorbent lint, bandages, adhesive tape, and you’ve got antiseptic creams, savlon, germolene, sudocream, vaseline etc what suits you, manuka honey is a must and works well on infected or ulcerated wounds.

Strong scissors might be needed for cutting away clothing, then sharp scissors for dressings, forceps, tweezers and irrigation syringes for flushing out wounds.

It might be useful to get the lifesystems sterile kit containing syringes and sutures in case you meet a medic after SHTF, also a dental kit.