Survival UK Forums

Full Version: gun dreams
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
The scope position looks fine to me, we're all different anyway. As long as the black ring around your sight picture is as small and sharp as possible in the position you use it most you'll be fine. Low mag scopes are less fussy anyway. The Banner has a good reputation.

I expect the Yanks will make us all jealous soon with photos of their arsenals ;-)
The whole arsenal?

On the open internet?

I don't think so!

You would not believe me anyway.

I do know one thing...

If I could get 570 pounds out of my 10/22 it would be sitting in another person's gun safe in an instant.
£570 is everything , gun/harris bipod/bushnell scope/moderator/slip/boresnake/volquartsen spring set/swivel studs/auto bolt release(didn't want to take the dremel to the original part as the gun is under warranty)spare firing pin and extractor/bx25 mag/weaver rail and mounts.............£570 is a decent price for all that...not like the states where you have thousands of gun shops competing for business and the second hand market is tiny in comparison with a lot of things being highly regulated.
Different restrictions and different taxes over here.

The rifle and accessories other than the "moderator" would run about 350 pounds over here.

The moderator would cost about 250 pounds and the tax on the moderator would be 300 pounds and have a 6 month wait for permission.

Our officials are terrified of moderators and seem to think they are some form of black magic that instantly turns one into a drooling mass murderer.

I have a friend that has a "moderator" which we once slipped onto my 10/22. I found that the noise of the bolt racking back and forth, with the added blow back of unburned powder, was almost as loud as the noise of normal discharge.

The same moderator on one of my bolt actions, using subsonic ammo, was about equal to a mouse fart.
moderator reg's are pretty relaxed over here...last time around moderators were only allowed for hunters and pro pest controllers...now target shooters are allowed them on health and safety grounds(cutting hearing loss/noise pollution)
Our market is unusual. Draconian restrictions mean that the market as a whole is small and we have no UK manufacturers, so imports are expensive and this is reflected in the price of popular calibres like the 22LR which are comparatively easy to license. On the other hand, older high powered stalking rifles are worth next to nothing because people have to sell one in order to get a space on ticket for a newer model and licenses are more difficult to obtain. My .308 cost me £150 complete with sling, hard case, once-fired cases, 2 sets of unused carbide reloading dies, plastic cartridge storage boxes, cleaning kit, scope mounts. It probably had less than a hundred rounds through it by previous owners but will have been carried for many miles. The .22 will have much higher re-sale value, if I ever decide to sell the .308 I'll have to practically give it away like the last owner did.
Mort I agree that a semi auto with a moderator sounds a lot louder than a bolt action with the clack clack of the slide but I don't think the prey get to hear it as much as you can what with them being 60 yards away and you being upwind and only 8 inches away.....I have managed to take 4 rabbits consecutively whilst lying in wait with the Erma before the others twig whats going on and bugger off...I I've never managed that with my bolt gun's usually just the two as movement working the bolt gives the game away.
The sound of a hollow point hitting the rabbits head is louder than the moderated 22, and if rabbits don't know which direction the threat is they often only run 10 yards and crouch down until they see some movement or until they are sure the threat isn't between them and the hedge.
I had a day off work today so decided to give the guns a clean, anyway here's a pic of my Rugers;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/byzbqw4v0yhy46...2.jpg?dl=0

Sorry, didn't have any Monster Munch, so I put a packet of Tesco Cheese and Onion crisps in there instead :-)
like the old army very much....never had a go with one though... my experience is with 1858's and navy colt's...a guy at the club has an 1858 that has been converted to nitro and uses shotgun primers...very cool...I'm thinking I'd like one but maybe the weslake version which is DA and uses .357 cast bullets instead of ball's.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18