Survival UK Forums

Full Version: gun dreams
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
You will probably enjoy the 38/357 carbine.

I have a 38/357 barrel for my H&R Handi-rifle and find it a very convenient tool around the homestead. I can shoot anything from rats to deer just by changing the cartridge I place in the chamber.

I reload for that caliber and use the 38/357 as others would use a 22 rim fire, except it has more power and in my case is cheaper to shoot than .22.
(20 November 2014, 17:02)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]Oh and I put £100 down to secure one of the next batch of Marlin 1894's in .38/.357 to arrive on our shore's .44's arrived about 6 weeks ago.... .38/.357's due any day now.

Spooky. I have the 452 Varmint and a space on my ticket for a 357 lever action.
Midnitemo I put in for both. It's only an extra £10 so stuck it on. The way I see it is a shotgun is going to be way better than any unlicensed air rifle within my budget. It'll put more food on the table, assuming I can find a shooting permission of course.
Yeah I should have gone coterminous with my application and saved a few quid and a load of hassle now I have shotgun renewal in 2017 and FAC in 2019 ..... good luck.

land is the difficult bit to get.....having a bit of difficulty there myself.
My plan is to get the licence & rifles 1st for targeting & get basc insurance. From there I'll be asking around at local farms showing them the targets I've shot to prove accuracy, show 3rd party cover & also offer a payment towards "leasing" some shooting rights over their land. At the minute it costs me £125 a year at the rifle club & £10+ equipment hire for clay shooting. I'd much rather out that cash in the hands of a local farmer & get meat in return instead of bits of paper full of holes. If any say yes, give plod a ring & ask for a change to the licence.
That's pretty much how it work's...you will probably knock a lot of doors with not much joy but don't get disheartened you will find somewhere eventually...the club is a good place to ask around...I picked up my first permission this way from an old fellow that had so much land but was feeling it in his bones and wanted to thin out some of his permission's.....obviously what he gave me weren't great but it was a start.....you'll find shooting rights and permission's are highly prized and jealously guarded , don't give up you will get some if you persevere.
I've found that farmers really value an extra pair of hands occasionally, so be prepared to offer a couple of days work and you're more likely to get permission to shoot. I cracked a really hard nut back in Kent - 300 acres just 50yds from my front door - by offering a hand to fit some fenceposts where local yobs had been taking mini-motorbikes onto the fields.

If that's not an option then don't be afraid to travel to somewhere a bit more remote - I had 1000+ acres shoot on the Isle of Sheppey - and have a really good look at the land. If you can see that the crops have been stripped near the hedgerows ( tip - look at places where the hedge/road is raised above the level of the field ) then use that as an intro, " I noticed you are losing a lot of crop to rabbits in that field ". The farmer will have noticed too, but they are often suspicious people, so " If you need some help with that......." and leave a card with your name, address, phone number, insurance details. Be polite, they're often older and from a more polite generation, don't go dressed like Rambo. Don't press for an answer there and then, it'll probably be "No", so make an offer to help, leave your card, and wish them good day.
Wow....new cz straight out the box is already exceeding my expectations...zeroed first on the 25m indoor range and I produced a couple of enlarged one hole three round groups using CCI standards , adding the moderator didn't have any appreciable effect switching to CCI minimags moved the group's up by .75 of an inch.......then took her to the outdoor lit 50m range and rezero'd only needed 6 clicks of elevation and the CCI standards were making nice compact cloverleaves , again adding the mod made no appreciable difference to point of aim but being semi outdoors with a sand backstop instead of steel plate it became eerily quiet. tried the CCI minimags aswell slightly bigger groups and printing a full inch higher than the standards......over the moon...don't think the Anschutz would have been any better...I think the limiting factor is me and the cz can outperform my capabilities with ease.
picked up another addition to the dream collection yesterday(late xmas pressie to myself in the sales)....won't get to shoot it til Tuesday....wil post a pic then and a report.

Dreamlist seems to be morphing into a totally different list!
I have been sitting on one for nearly a week waiting for the weather to calm down.

When it is not snowing the wind is howling at gale force.

This is one I can not shoot on the indoor range, so I must wait for a "good day" to run the testing.

This is a winter project rifle, so once I get group measurements and functioning checks it will be taken apart and rebuilt to my specs.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18