Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Aye - Im making sure I spread the load and position the crates over the 1F walls. Not long had the ceilings plastered so won't be amused with cracks.
Today I spotted an old hand powered seed drill at the local garden centre. It's mine now, been looking for one for ages. Also collected some more useful parts from the clearance section of local agri machinery supplier, £1000 of new bearings for £20, a job lot of large V belts £18 and four heavy duty steel skids at £2 each.
Today, well yesterday now, a couple of important things happened in my prepping efforts. They will probably not seem like much to anyone else but I'll let you judge...

SWMBO has been totally opposed to the idea of prepping, such as having any kind of reserve of food and equipment. She has just surprised me in several ways; firstly, she has agreed to come with me to the next West Scotland Group meet, an achievement in itself but then she told me about a local lassie on a 'buy and sell' site who wanted to sell some wax beads for candle making and asked me if they would be useful at £5 for two bags (I jumped at that one! Smile). Lastly, she came home from a trip to the supermarket with two large boxes of teabags (not much, I know...) that were on some kind of crazy offer price and gave me them to 'put by', saying they was a limit on how many could be bought at once but she would go back tomorrow for more!

I've learned over the years that I'll never understand the workings of the female mind but I'll be eternally grateful for it nonetheless... Big Grin
Today I finally decided to get myself a dog. I have spent the entire day researching breeds and training etc and decided to get an Alaskan Malamute. They are a big strong animal. And going to ring several trainings tomorrow about a custom training program. A combo of protecting me, attacking threats and pulling sleds in snow or a small wagon on roads.

So if anyone knows of any breeders that will have a litter ready around October, please point me in the right direction.
currently playing with UV5R and researching licence free bands
(2 August 2013, 01:12)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: [ -> ]Today, well yesterday now, a couple of important things happened in my prepping efforts. They will probably not seem like much to anyone else but I'll let you judge...

SWMBO has been totally opposed to the idea of prepping, such as having any kind of reserve of food and equipment. She has just surprised me in several ways; firstly, she has agreed to come with me to the next West Scotland Group meet, an achievement in itself but then she told me about a local lassie on a 'buy and sell' site who wanted to sell some wax beads for candle making and asked me if they would be useful at £5 for two bags (I jumped at that one! Smile). Lastly, she came home from a trip to the supermarket with two large boxes of teabags (not much, I know...) that were on some kind of crazy offer price and gave me them to 'put by', saying they was a limit on how many could be bought at once but she would go back tomorrow for more!

I've learned over the years that I'll never understand the workings of the female mind but I'll be eternally grateful for it nonetheless... Big Grin

its a start GG, looks like you may be getting through to her-"large oaks from tiny acorns do grow" sort of thing!!Big Grin
(2 August 2013, 01:12)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: [ -> ]Today, well yesterday now, a couple of important things happened in my prepping efforts. They will probably not seem like much to anyone else but I'll let you judge...

Great news GG

helps a lot having the OH on board in any sort of way
(2 August 2013, 01:22)Mooski88 Wrote: [ -> ]Today I finally decided to get myself a dog. I have spent the entire day researching breeds and training etc and decided to get an Alaskan Malamute. They are a big strong animal. And going to ring several trainings tomorrow about a custom training program. A combo of protecting me, attacking threats and pulling sleds in snow or a small wagon on roads.

So if anyone knows of any breeders that will have a litter ready around October, please point me in the right direction.

Big Grin

People over the road have an Alaskan Malamute. Beautiful dogs. Make sure you get one with good hip / elbow scores (goes for any dog) and make sure you get to spend some time with the parents. The one over the road is only a couple of years old and has very bad epillepsy. Poor thing is always having fits, spends a lot of time at the vets. Must be genetic I think as it's brother has exactly the same issues. Purebreed dog too, KC registered etc.

Oh, and if left alone they'll howl all day long (I can hear it now!) so get 2 to keep each other company Big Grin

Good luck with your search.
(2 August 2013, 13:09)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]The one over the road is only a couple of years old and has very bad epillepsy. Poor thing is always having fits, spends a lot of time at the vets. Must be genetic I think as it's brother has exactly the same issues. Purebreed dog too, KC registered etc.

that's the trouble with some purebreds...too much inbreeding(goes for chavs tooBig Grin). better off getting a mutt from the rescue centre, have had some good dogs from rescue centres over the years, also the bigger the dog the more the food bill, also consider the size of your house and garden, if you've got a small house your constantly going to keep falling over the dog!!

Great news G,.. everyones store started with something small,.. its the begining

(2 August 2013, 01:22)Mooski88 Wrote: [ -> ]Today I finally decided to get myself a dog. I have spent the entire day researching breeds and training etc and decided to get an Alaskan Malamute. They are a big strong animal. And going to ring several trainings tomorrow about a custom training program. A combo of protecting me, attacking threats and pulling sleds in snow or a small wagon on roads.

wow, you will have your hands full with that one, you picked one of the hardest breeds to keep, I have kept 3 German Shepherds for years, but I would never have a Malamute...they are lovely dogs mind, and its a great idea to train it to pull, they need to work, I do dog scootering with my threeSmile