Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Did not make the fishing trip after all ......the garage and workshop took priority and made more sense to get it all sorted and make some more room .......there are a few things to throw out still ,but it’s clear just about .

Called up to see John the farm yesterday......he had a few power outages and struggled to boil up for a brew and heat up some soup ( no backup ) except the fireplace ....the Rayburn I fitted ( wood / coal burning ) he had converted to oil burning , and that needs a fan assist .......oops .....I did look in the barn for the old camping stove and found it eventually .....but it fell apart just because I looked at it ...... now they are well into their eighties ......” you really should have a backup boyo , how would you manage in winter and cannot get out ? It’s no bloody good having plenty of food and not being able to cook it ! While I am at it where is the generator ? What about the freezers and both oil fired boilers “ ....yes you’r right mate ......I will sort out a camping stove and gas by the weekend for you ......I will check out a diesel key start generator , and we will wire up a emergency supply for the essential stuff ......he nods his head in agreement.......I thought it’s easy for us all to forget old age and what that brings and how much harder simple tasks become especially for a guy like John who never stops keeping busy and proud enough not to ask for a helping hand .....yet he will offer you his hand without any hesitation .

Packed up a pile of dried foods in Mylar bags and stored in barrel kegs , going to pickle more shallots after all ...I am like a bloody squirrel about the place .....those of you reading my posts over the past years my well wonder why I am Still stocking up STUFF ...does he not have enough ? ......yes I do ! But it’s the kids and grandkids ....it’s always been that way , but I feel the need to make sure .

Maybe I will make the fishing trip this weekend ? I will get there sooner or later .
Made three pints of elderberry syrup and another two gallons of damson wine today ......I am going to spend this evening pickling shallots ..........more elderberry syrup before the week is out......the Christmas potatoes are coming on nice along with the carrots ......swedes are being harvested along with potatoes ........I feel a stock pot of lamb stew coming on and a few chunks of homemade bread ! .
(7 September 2020, 16:18)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]......I am going to spend this evening pickling shallots.......

What a lovely romantic evening.......i’m so jealous Smile
Knocked out five jars last night Pete , only another fifteen to go ! ......we do not do disco’s down hear Pete ....we do pickled shallots n cheese party’s .....but.....I have thrown some chicks around the dance floor ...especially when high on shallots .
I’ve just bought another four stackable plastic crates (as used for most of our preps), we are steadily stocking up on food, want another two or three crates of dry stuff (prepper basics) as mentioned, also plenty packets of soup etc.

We have noticed that Farm Foods stock a good range of canned meats a reasonable prices but we do not know how good the use by dates are, will have to check.

We have plenty of storage jars and rubber sealing rings so we are ready for when they are needed. We don’t really do much preserving and pickling but we’re working on it. We normally open freeze most stuff.

I did get that new foot-pump i wanted and some more AA and AAA rechargeable batteries, have ordered some automotive electrical cable, an assortment of electrical connectors, fuses and fuse holders, switches and bits and bobs, everything will be 12V after TSHTF.
Made two ltrs Whiskey, 1 ltr Tia maria, 3ltr Butterscotch moonshine, 1ltr Rum, 1ltr spiced Rum and 1lte Caramel Vodka. Should see me through the weekend, don't want to overdo it.
Same here Pete ......I have loads of 12 volt cable , fuses , switches , lights , water pumps , connectors even a emersion heater and four deep cell batteries for the solar panel setups also two of those 12 volt /220 volt portable coolers / heater boxes I bought from Aldi’s back last year .

Will finish the shallots tonight ....that will be eleven kilo’s total...............All this stuff SS ? ......yep ......ask me again in two months time .

And for all our guests that visit here checking the site out .......Start prepping TODAY ! No time to loose , you will miss the boat !
Have you guys converted those 12v systems over to LED for the lighting?

Makes a big difference in the draw and drain.
Yes MB all my lighting is all led , mostly strip lighting , I am about to order more of these for portable use with a small solar panel and a golf cart battery .....I also bought six usb hubs to plug in my mobile and iPad although the charge controllers have these within the unit .....this smaller setup will need some usb hubs ....for coms and radio.
MB with the exception of the garage (striplight) and two outside security lights everything is LED, another security light has been changed to LED but i’m disappointed with the brightness. The areas covered by the lights are covered by cameras (infrared after dark) so lights are not essential for security. We also have an LED hand searchlight and a tripod mounted LED work light (12V, very useful - use with leisure battery).

SS among the 12V bits we find most useful are cigarette lighter plugs and sockets, plugs are fitted to solar panels and battery charger/maintainers, leads for the CB, the work light, charging leads for the wind up lanterns etc. Sockets on trailing leads are fitted to leisure batteries, this makes everything easily connectable. Also socket on trailing leads with battery clips in each vehicle, and 12V to usb adapter. I do need another AA/AAA charger.