Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some of the first potatoes are ready to raise also onions are ready to pull along with some turnips .
French beans and some peas will be ready next week , picking cucumbers for the last two weeks , I will have apples and pears after all those hail stones …..no many but I will have some ! Along with some damsons ! Picking some pak Choi and courgettes , tomatoes will be a while yet by the looks , the cucamelons are coming along also the one melon plant my brother gave me ! Sweet peppers are coming on strong .

The runner beans are coming on strong along with the peas two rows I thought was shot have indeed survived , but I have sown a follow on batch …….cabbages are looking real good ! A bit of planning now for follow on second crops ……I’m on it ! .
Been restocking the firewood shed over last weekend , I’m about 70% full right now , should get it all finished this upcoming weekend and ready for the coming winter , we have not used much LPG this year owing to the wood burner being used this winter for heat and a lot of cooking ….most days ! ….took us back to our childhoods where most all villages here in South wales cooked and baked on coal powered ranges and open fires …..we are no strangers to stovetop cooking .
I've been a bit limited in my growing this year because the scaffolding is in the way, but that is due to come down this Saturday.
I'm using my growing not to feed wife and I but to see what I can grow, so far Tomatoes, Broad Beans, Potatoes, Brussel Sprout seedlings are doing well, Gooseberries and Rhubarb.(obviously we do eat what I grow).
we have Raspberries and 7 Apple trees as permanent crops in the garden.
we also seem to have sole Foraging to Blackberries and Crab Apples very close by.
I've had allotments most of my adult life but currently there is none available so I am permanently looking for land to purchase for this purpose.
had ligament reconstruction,in my ankle ,which you could consider being a prep.so hopping about on the allotment giving out orders to the wife
Collected a few trailer loads of log rounds today …..hard going getting them out of the undergrowth , got them back to the splitting area ready for the morning …..splitting and stacking tomorrow should sort out next winters firewood , but there’s loads of logs left so I will plod on getting them done even if I stack them in the open for now.

Added more fish to the hydroponics setup …..not doing as good as last year, not enough nutrients….hopefully the new tenants will sort the problem out .

The potatoes are delicious along with the peas, french beans and turnips ….living like a king ! …..the sweetcorn are now back on track and doing great …..the butter and black pepper are just waiting ready for the cobs .
Sil no 3 rang me a few days back …..” got a load of pallets up my factory and a pile of ply sheeting , any use for it ? “ ……I’ll be there in 10 mins I said , hitched up the trailer and off I went ……WOW ! I took two overloaded trailers full ! I have enough to completely line the honey shed I am about to build ……..” these any good to you dad ? “ he threw be a core tube 250 mm dia and 350 mm long x 12 mm wall thickness ……” I also have some 1000 mm long and 1800 mm long ……I can use these in the garden and poly tunnels I said , ideal for plants and raised bed applications ….yes I can use them alright ! “ how about these ! “ end of roll off cuts of clear thick flexible sheet about 500 mm x 1200 mm “ yes I can use them too ! ……well in future I will keep it all for you , I’ve been skipping it …..never thought to ask you before dad ! …..I will do some more trips to get the pallets and all the other stuff ! …….what a stroke of luck ! .

Harvesting veg as it becomes available , any access will be preserved or dehydrated for the coming months and winter …..I am digging over the beds as I use up the crop ……ready for the follow on crop , digging in home made compost as I go …..busy time of year right now , just about keeping on top of it all .

Charge on ! .
SS is the “home made compost” from the privy ? Smile.
From the chickens Pete , plus green manure …….egg shells , in fact anything compostable go’s in the mix, not forgetting horse manure from the farm …..hay and straw along with grass cuttings not much is wasted around here Pete not even wood ash ! But I must confess to having a pee on the heap ! …you know Pete ….it’s a man thing .
(30 June 2023, 08:16)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]From the chickens Pete , plus green manure …….egg shells , in fact anything compostable go’s in the mix, not forgetting horse manure from the farm …..hay and straw along with grass cuttings not much is wasted around here Pete not even wood ash ! But I must confess to having a pee on the heap ! …you know Pete ….it’s a man thing .

Does this mean when you make a new heap you have to “christen” it ? Smile
Well where I compost Pete nobody can see me anyway! So I help things along a bit …..win win ! Lol .