Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(17 February 2024, 00:36)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Pete, We are pretty much they same here but I suspect you are much further ahead on growing food than we are.

Unfortunately we have had to cut down drastically on our veggie crops but we still have the fruit trees and bushes.
If you thought things were going DOWN THE PAN FAST and you had a little spare cash would you hit the local supermarket or hardware shops, or just pay of some bills ?.

Water storage....jerrycans, waterbutts, sterilisation thin bleach & oasis tablets.

Food....look for special (2for1) offers, it soon adds up.

Heating....have you a wood burner or have you a chimney for an open fire?....Carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are ESSENTIAL.

Cooking....wood burner/stove ?, or portable camping stove with gas bottle.

Lighting....Windup led lantern, a head torch is useful, plenty rechargeable batteries.

Battery charging....a solar panel.

Medications....if you’re on prescription medication try and build a stock, don’t forget OTC meds and a good first aid kit.

Communication....a windup portable radio SW capable, maybe a couple of walkie-talkies.

Toilet....camping chemical toilet with chemicals.

So what would you prioritise ?.
To buy? I have everything I need so all I do is buy extra food and fuel when I see something affordable.

Although I'm now looking at a new car. Mine is on its way out and I'll need to replace it soon.
electric or petrol?
Petrol of course.
(23 February 2024, 10:52)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Petrol of course.

Yes and I believe it’s also possible convert a petrol engine to run on home brewed alcohol, (but I would not know where or how to start).

Preps this week were trade pack of Goldscrews (assorted self tapping countersunk wood screws) from Screwfix, and some tanalised timber for fence repairs, and fence paint, ready for a sunny day.
(23 February 2024, 21:46)Pete Grey Wrote: [ -> ]
(23 February 2024, 10:52)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Petrol of course.

Yes and I believe it’s also possible convert a petrol engine to run on home brewed alcohol, (but I would not know where or how to start).

Preps this week were trade pack of Goldscrews (assorted self tapping countersunk wood screws) from Screwfix, and some tanalised timber for fence repairs, and fence paint, ready for a sunny day.

Pete, I have a book on that somewhere. I'll see if I can find it in the downloads. It takes Potatoes and turns them into alcohol which it then uses a fuel.
post SHTF I wont be travelling anywhere so I only need what fuel is in my tank, once that is gone I will use the car to block access.
Pete,

There are a couple of articles on converting your car to run on alcohol in the files section under transportation and vehicles which you can download so you can prepare for that.

There are lots of articles in the files area about making alcohol which you can use with tools you already have. As you don't intend to drink your and use it as fuel then you don't need to buy a still. I bought a dedicated still and that came with instructions on how to make alcohol with it. I think it is safer than the methods used without the proper equipment if you ever intend to drink from it.
QUESTION.

Is this a prepping site or a conspiracy theory discussion group ?.