Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pete, I don't disagree with you and I too am prepping at the same level as yourself, well, maybe not the exact same level based on your posts.

You post was intended for beginners and I understand from items I am reading in the US is that many new preppers are looking out there for advice on the many prepper sites available in the US. I'm hoping that the same thing is happening in the UK and that absolute beginners are standing to prep for what seems an inevitable future. Many have very little to spend and need to prioritise.

My point is that everything you do improves your chances of survival. But I would rather start with 10 trays of beans than one tray and a portable toilet if money is limited. A portable toilet imo is a bit further along the prepping path.

Personally, I have the items you have listed and every time it appears that something is going to kick off I buy more food and water, gas, more first aid stuff and blankets/clothing. I have enough of the other stuff.
Yes SD the post was intended for beginners.

I just wanted to show what ONE WEEK’S wages, or £10 per week for a year
would accomplish to cover as many risks as possible.

Obviously we all have to prioritise what we believe to be the most
important preps depending on our family’s needs.

After ten trays of baked beans I know I certainly would prioritise a toilet Smile .
I will have to increase my home grown crop of Potatoes next year, according to a farmer this morning due to the extreme weather the christmas crop of potatoes is going to be low this year, a lot of the fields are still under water.
apparently farmers get more money for growing wild flowers than they do for food, crazy eh?
After ten trays of baked beans I know I certainly would prioritise a toilet

LOL. Can't agree more.
Would anyone else like to say what preps they would prioritise for a beginner ?.

Cause I’m getting too old ( and tired ) for all this xxxx Smile .
just the basics Food, Water, Shelter, first aid, security.
Yes food, water, shelter, first aid, security, but has anyone thought about how to MAKE everyday basics after TEOTWAWKI ?.

Something as simple/useful as soap ?, or could you repair a pair of shoes ?. There are a lot of skills/knowledge we have lost and need to relearn.

List what the needs would be for you and your family after TEOTW, plan now you might not have much time.
It is going to depend on the type of SHTF
I spent the entire first lockdown bugged out off-grid, We have a natural spring close by and enough foodstuff to last at least 12 months, it's all restocked, if the C19 had been TEOTWAWKI and somewhere above 95% had perished then acquiring more supplies shouldn't be impossible. Growing my own food and hunting is manageable with care.
Upwards of 65M dead would be more of a risk than coming into contact with survivors as rotting bodies would quickly pollute waterways, the Rat population would explode and packs of Dogs would be a big worry.
Now if it were a WW3 type that would be much more difficult, obtaining store-bought supplies would be nigh on impossible, and with a nuclear disaster, 18 months would be the best I could expect to survive.
Natural disasters such as a super volcano or meteor strike causing an Ice Age situation I would expect to survive longer than with nuclear fallout.
So in answer to the priorities, Shelter, Food and Water, Heat, Medical supplies, my Crossbow, fishing gear and access to information via radio ETC
most people would die in their own homes, the chance of them dropping dead in or near a waterway would be quite slim.
most dogs would die with their owners, in the UK we dont have a problem with loose dogs, certainly not in my neck of the woods, rats and mice would be a problem but mostly in the cities and in the sewers where there is more food for them.
I dont think a nuclear disaster or war is survivable in a country the size of Britain if the blast dosent kill us the radiation and nuclear winter would.
That doesn’t answer the question.

TEOTWAWKI.........

When the shops are empty and you’ve scavenged all you can,
a few years down the line, what then ?.

What will you need, can you make it ?. Consumables like soap ?.
Medicines ?. pain killers ?. herbal remedies ?. penicillin ?.

Is it broken, can you repair it ?. House maintenance ?. repair a cart ?.

Could you fell and dress timber with hand tools ?.

What about animal husbandry ?, then of course butchery and what
about meat preservation, smoking ?, there will be no salt left.

Many skills will be needed that will be alien to most survivors.