Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yes I have all of those Pete ! .........bugger ! Just read TH’s last post I am very jealous and gutted .....something else (still) I was going to get as I said on here months ago but never got around to ....but I will now ....any tips TH ? On a still .
(11 September 2020, 12:57)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]Yes I have all of those Pete ! .........bugger ! Just read TH’s last post I am very jealous and gutted .....something else (still) I was going to get as I said on here months ago but never got around to ....but I will now ....any tips TH ? On a still .

Lovebrewing uk. They have everything you need. Check out the lovebrewing youtube vids too, very informative.
Cheers TH will check them out .
!!!BUYING A STILL!!!

You boys are definitely not from Kentucky,,, or West VA, or North Carolina, or most of Tennessee!

I find the very thought intensely disturbing.
O.K., MB, I'm intrigued. Do you find the thought of actually buying a still disturbing, or the fact that SS hasn't already got one?
Yeah .....you tell him Mary ! He’s always picking on me ......big bully........lol
Pickled some more of (my) onions ( forgot them drying in the shed ) soaked them in brine yesterday morning and Jared them up this morning .

Away to the bottom shed and split and stacked just under a cord. Logged up some at the bottom of the pile I could not get at , will transfer that lot down to the bottom shed tomorrow then process that lot also .

Wild child wanted more blackberries “there’s plenty by the top gate “ picked five pound in no time ....did’nt make a dent ....it’s plastered up there .

My circuit breakers and more led strip lights just arrived ( ordered yesterday ) 12 volt ...20 amp C B and some more connector fittings .

I am going to make up a mobile solar power pack with a build in inverter ( 700 watt ) with all outlet connections , I have all the bits except the plastic waterproof box to carry it all ( excluding the panel ) I will find something to hold the golf trolly battery and all the bits .....any ideas ? .
How about a shopping trolley for the battery? Reinforce it a bit and you have a mobile unit.
The way I see it Mary .....size wise is about the size as a standard army ammo box to house everything bar the solar panel ....with one handle to carry it .......it may end up that will be the solution , but. Plastic would be better for weather conditions especially for external use along with insulation and condensation issues but your idea is good Mary ....thank you !
OK going down the list:

I find buying a still disturbing when there is everything you need to make one available for a few coins at the building supply center. plus there is the tradition factor.

Folks around here just continued the tradition of building their stills and processing their liquor when they arrived here from there. There being mostly Wales, Scotland and north Ireland.

Even the teetotalers around here keep a coil of copper tubing hanging in the shed, just in case.

And now that you mention it the thought that SS did not have the makings already on hand is more distressing! I'll bet they are there and he simply does not recognize the proper use of said items!

Whisky is the ultimate calorie preservation method. Plus, unlike beer, cider and ale, it fits into my low carb diet.

Now for the cart,,, are you putting the panels on the cart with the battery and inverter? If so why?

If you have enough panel for decent charging, say 200w, they are going to be too big to put on a cart and defeat the portability of the power pack.

I made a trolley from a 2 wheel movers dolly I got at Harbor Freight for $30. It is the lightweight model and not much for moving heavy furniture but stronger than a plastic grocery dolly by far, and it has inflatable tyres. It also makes less difference how heavy the battery happens to be or even if you have a stack of two. Build a shelf like a book case and stack them up.

Put the panels outside of wherever and run the charging wire to the power pack on the inside to charge. Pull the plug and take the power pack where ever you want it. They all come with universal fittings now. You can move the panels around easily enough if you want to keep the charging up while you use the power pack.

I have a trickle panel attached to the outside of my bike shed, run the wire inside and plug it into the accessory plug. Keeps the bike batteries topped up. Unplug it and roll the bike out to ride, everything is weather protected.

The power access plug on the bike also turns it into a power pack for use with 12v gear. Basically creating a high speed ride-worthy emergency generator.

Way more fun than a trolley!

Of course I do the same thing with my lawn tractor but I can't run it down the motorway.

Which reminds me of the old George Jones incident (Country music singer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VExw77xJsBQ )

He was arrested for driving his garden tractor down the public street. His driver license had been suspended for DUI and they had impounded his vehicles. He was going to the liquor store.