Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(14 January 2023, 17:35)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]Hello BB , all fine here ! …… nice to hear from you mate !

How you doing ss hope your well
(14 January 2023, 18:20)Barneyboy Wrote: [ -> ]Not much mate ,still working the doors,still collecting tins lol how about you

still preparing, still researching, I run another prepping forum so that keeps me busy.
changing cars this weekend, wife is getting a newer car tomorrow, someone is picking up my old car later this morning, surplus to requirements.
(14 January 2023, 17:59)Barneyboy Wrote: [ -> ]Oh I see shame about the American lot they were good source of entertainment and knowledge

What is the "shame"??

You actually believe BP about anything? Shame on you! He can't look at a weather rock and tell if it is raining!

I don't know what he said, and have not cared for several months, since I had the pleasure of using the "ignore feature" on him and no longer see or want to see any of his delightful misconceptions and mythology.

If you wish to see when someone is "here" or gone for good why don't you use the information available on the forum and go to their profile page and look down in the second section at the last date and time they logged onto the forum.

You don't have as many secrets as you think.

In fact, you folks all live within a few miles of each other and if you would loosen up a smidge you could have done the last two pages as a text message. It has simply not been survival forum related material, so me, and perhaps CH also, have had no comments.

There is simply nothing here to comment on. 25 sections in the discussion forum, 18 without a post in 6 months, 9 with no posts for a year, 9 threads ended with a flippant dismissal by by the resident whatever you want to label him.

I log on, check the "new posts" search and if there are none I leave.

There are very active forums to access, even on the British side.
oh well, typical American misconceptions about our green and pleasant land.
prepping and survival are different in the UK to the US, not better, not worse, just different, like the people are different.
some might see my opinions as myth but they are based on a lifetime of people watching and being different to the common herd.
Over the past few years I have tried to cut a bit of slack to fellow members having had a few shared years with them on this forum and come to except differing points of view , even if those view are things Ido not agree with so the forum IS working as it should ! Different cultures ! Americans will have a different prospective that should be obvious I see this as a positive and not a negative …..we are all preppers walking the same road ? And should be working together , if we can’t do that then what’s the point ? We can all get pissed off with some individual from time to time , that’s normal everyday stuff , just rise above it ! Which brings me to those who do not post …this could be the results of when they DO post they get shot down in flames sometimes unfairly but that’s the way it sometimes works , and those who wait for posts / threads to appear ……try creating some threads of your own ,do not wait on others ……if you are unable or unwilling …..you may well be in the wrong place take a break !

Just because some members have been on this forum for years , does not mean they own the forum and everything revolves around any individual ….all and any views should have equal relevance ( in the first place )
We should all never forget the primary purpose of this forum ,advising and helping others , it’s not about showing how clever or intelligent you are that you wield some illusionary power bull shit ! .
I seem to attract nasty posts, dont know why, maybe my remarks are too close to home?? HAHAHA!
Picked up three bags of seed potatoes this morning , Nicola , Charlotte, and Maris peer also some onion sets along with ten packets of veggie seeds although I have plenty of seeds stashed , I keep adding to stay in front .

Starting to wind up ready to prepare for the growing season , even thinking of adding heat to the big poly tunnel this year as well as the test poly tunnel .

Looking at opening up some ground with the digger down the bottom ground for some pigs ….only two ! And even a goat or two ………rabbit hutches are built and ready ! And their site is planned out , it’s a fair bit of work ….talking time is over …….I will be busy .
I will be increasing the quantity I am growing this year, I'll probably stick to beef tomatoes this time as the ordinary "money maker" ones didnt do too good last year but the Beef ones were excellent in quality and quantity.
I grew twice the amount of Potatoes last year as I did the year before so will do that again.
also will double the number of Broad Bean plants this year.
maybe try a couple of others things too.
thinking of setting up a cold frame this year.
I do miss the allotment I had when we lived in Somerset, no vacancies for any around here which I why I'm perpetually looking for a small plot of land to buy.
My daughter took us to Costco this morning ( she has a card ) we went just to have a look see ! Ended up blowing £150 .00 quid ……it was rammed in there ! …..no recession in there ! And plenty of stock , no empty shelves in there ! …..some great offers , and we took advantage of some of them to some degree , well worth a look especially for bulk purchases and say once a month or even two months could make great savings if you can afford the initial outlay .

To be honest another visit is required just to cover the full range on offer , there is to much to take in ….you need a full day just to see everything and cover it all , wild child eyes were like organ stops ! Her kicking and screaming at the checkout ….hanging on to the safety rail and screaming “ but I have not seen it all yet” did not help matters and the comments of other shoppers “ oh ! that poor man is nobody going to help him ! Let’s call security , she needs a bloody good slap ! She’s a nutter etc “ on our return home , all I said was what’s for dinner sweetie , her reply was not nice in fact it was pretty ugly …..making beans on toast later .

Now I know Costco been about for a while so I would assume most have had a look but first impressions look good for us ! Yet if you look on the net ….all food outlets have empty shelves and shortages all over the USA …..is this really true ? …..it’s hard to get at the truth ! Even some US preppers are saying there are major shortages ? One thing is very obvious prices are raising by the week practically and worldwide …..however bad harvests will kick in soon and this years harvest will be worse , it’s going to get a lot harder for everyone , If shortages are here right now imagine what’s coming within the next few months ? From a practical point of view we will be forced into growing our own food sooner rather than later …..so start now! .
SS the badly stocked stores over here are actually badly managed stores. If you find a store with empty shelves you get in your car, drive to the other end of the car park and shop the one that is not going bankrupt for bad management.

You are hearing panic inducers and doomsayers. Things were a little skimpy right after covid due to production catch up, but that was going on 2 years ago. I would have to look very hard to find an empty shelf in most stores that are not under renovation or construction.

We have Costco over here. I think it originated over here. One in each good sized town. We also have a group called Sam's Club which is the same thing as Costco but run by Walmart. Bulk purchase centers but also handy low cost items in daily use portions and their health and beauty section has excellent OTC meds. Our OTC system is different from yours in several ways. We consider some things as needing script that you do not and we offer bulk purchase of items you do not.....

One thing they do is offer roasted chickens @ $4! I can not buy a chicken and take it home to cook it for $4. If you drop in after work and don't want to shop while hungry they offer a hot dog, crisps and soda for $1.50, which is a bargain for us, and I do not want to go through the store hungry. I turn into the mad prepper when hungry.